The "pass out game" has become popular among young people, with many of them posting videos on YouTube on how to make themselves pass out, purposefully, through hyperventilation. 

The idea is that the people playing the game deprive themselves of oxygen to get a quick high  as they wake up.

On Tuesday, the dangerous game took a turn for the worst after a 15-year-old boy played the game after watching a YouTube video. After making himself pass out, authorities said the boy  fell onto a drinking glass and slashed his throat, the Associated Press reported. 

The San Diego teen was at home with two friends shortly after 7 p.m.  watching a video when the incident occurred, Chula Vista Police Sgt. John Stires said. 

“The victim apparently did what was in the video, fell forward and landed on a drinking glass on the floor,” Chula Vista Police Captain Gary Wedge said, according to ABC 10 News.

“Nothing good can come out of watching videos like that,” Wedge added.

In the YouTube videos, teens can be seen breathing rapidly and heavily, before breathing in their fists, and then passing out for a short period of time before getting back up again, seemingly fine.

The 15-year-old boy apparently lost consciousness after falling on the glas, and was assisted by friends and family before paramedics arrived. He reportedly regained consciousness briefly before collapsing again, news reports said.

He passed away at a hospital from a deep cut to his carotid artery.

This is not the first time a youth has died after playing the "pass out." In 2010, the New York Daily News reported that an 11-year-old boy died from suffocation after playing the game alone.