Articles by India
- Pakistan Sacks Top Law Officer For Performing Menial Tasks At Sikh Temples
August 03 2012 2:43 PM
Khan said he performed those humble duties as a goodwill gesture and to promote better relations between faiths.
- Euro Zone Breakup Expected To Jack Up Gold Prices: Report
August 03 2012 2:22 PM
The exit of one or more countries from the euro zone could drive gold prices significantly higher by the end of this year, according to a Friday Capital Economics report.
- India Awash In Guns: Even Politicians Facing Criminal Charges Can Acquire Weapons
August 03 2012 9:57 AM
Between 1987 and 2012, 756 guns were purchased by MPs and other senior government officials.
- Bat Virus Offers Insight Into Deadly Nipah, Hendra
August 03 2012 9:01 AM
The newly discovered Cedar virus, with 90 percent of its genes identical to those of Hendra and Nipah viruses, failed to cause any disease when researchers injected it into animals, suggesting an avenue for identifying the deadly genes at the heart of Hendra and Nipah.
- Aid Groups In Bangladesh Asked To Stop Helping Rohingyas Flee Myanmar
August 03 2012 8:13 AM
Three international aid agencies working in Bangladesh have been reportedly asked to halt their activities on the ground that they were facilitating the Rohingya refugees from strife-torn Myanmar to travel across the border into the country.
- India's Olympics Gatecrasher Madhura Nagendra Apologizes, Says ‘It Was Error Of Judgment’
August 03 2012 7:35 AM
The Indian woman who hogged international fame after she gate-crashed India's parade at the London Olympic's opening ceremony embarrassing the organizers and her country apologized on Friday for her action.
- Team Anna Takes U-Turn: India’s Anti-Graft Activist To Enter Politics, Receives Mixed Reactions
August 03 2012 6:46 AM
After nine days of fasting, the Team Anna, as the Indian anti-graft activist Anna Hazare and his supporters are known, has decided to call off its indefinite hunger strike Friday and has floated a proposal to form a "political alternative" as an answer to an "unresponsive" government.
- India's Service Sector PMI Growth Dips Slightly In July
August 03 2012 4:40 AM
India's service sector continued its growth for the ninth consecutive month in July, based on a slow but steady growth in new orders, according to the latest HSBC PMI data released Friday.
- Brent crude up on Iran tensions, North Sea output cut
August 03 2012 3:21 AM
Brent crude inched above $106 a barrel on Friday on concerns over supply from the Middle East and the North Sea, though worries over a slowing global economy capped gains. The U.S. Congress passed a new package of sanctions against Iran that aims to punish banks, insurance companies and shippers that help Tehran sell its oil.
- India Confirms Drought as El Nino Looms
August 03 2012 12:40 AM
Monsoon rains will not be enough to save the country from its first drought in three years, the weather office said on Thursday as it forecast that the El Nino weather pattern should reduce rains again in the second half of the June to September season.
- Gold Down, Hopes For Imminent Central Bank Actions Fade
August 02 2012 4:31 PM
Gold prices fell for a fourth straight session on Thursday as bullion investors continued to unwind bullish bets due to a lack of more aggressive actions by the European Central Bank and U.S. Federal Reserve to boost growth.
- India Plans Mars Mission Late Next Year
August 02 2012 2:56 PM
The orbiter should assume its position around Mars by September 2014.
- Pigs Heads Left At French Mosque: Why Muslims, Jews And Hindus Don?t Eat Pork
August 02 2012 11:10 AM
The prohibition on eating pork is something shared by Muslims and Jews.
- South Korea Buys Gold; C.Bank Purchases Set To Rise
August 02 2012 8:19 AM
South Korea boosted its gold holdings by nearly a third in July, buying 16 tonnes as part of the central bank's efforts to diversify its massive foreign exchange reserves.
- Gold Holds Above $1,600 Per Ounce Ahead Of ECB Announcement
August 02 2012 7:56 AM
Gold prices rose back above $1,600 an ounce in Europe on Thursday as a retreat in the dollar helped the metal recover some of previous day's decline, but moves were muted ahead of a monetary policy statement from the European Central Bank.
- South China Sea: Chinese, Philippine And Vietnamese Oil Tenders Escalate Tensions
August 02 2012 5:07 AM
China has given a go-ahead for its first major tender of oil and gas blocks in the South China Sea, close on the heels of Beijing establishing a military garrison on a disputed island in the waters.
- Asian Stock Markets Fall Before ECB Meeting
August 02 2012 4:08 AM
Asian stock markets declined Thursday as investors awaited the European Central Bank (ECB) meeting later in the day after Federal Reserve did not offer any new monetary measures overnight.
- Power outage outrages hit Indian economy
August 02 2012 3:34 AM
As India limped back to normal Wednesday after power was restored to its full capacity following two days of blackout due to the collapse of the three electricity grids, the country's economy has undergone a jolt.
- Terror Or An Act Of Mischief? 4 Low-Intensity Explosions Jolt Pune In India
August 02 2012 1:44 AM
Multiple low intensity explosions rocked the city of Pune in Maharashtra, India, Wednesday evening. Four low-impact bombs went off in a quick succession in the span of 48 minutes between 7:27 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. on the bustling Junglee Maharaj Road.
- RIM: BlackBerry Security Not Compromised in India
August 02 2012 12:28 AM
Research in Motion (RIM.TO) refuted on Wednesday a new round of Indian media reports, which claim that the BlackBerry maker has granted the government the encryption keys to its secure corporate email and messaging services.