For months there has been speculation surrounding whom The Undertaker would face at WrestleMania 32. First it was Brock Lesnar. Then it looked like John Cena would get the call. After Cena got injured, Braun Strowman became the leading candidate to take on the Deadman.
Now, with the final pay-per-view before WrestleMania 32 approaching, there is a new favorite to have a match with The Undertaker at the biggest WWE event of 2016.
“Someone who is not an active wrestler is what I was told,” Dave Meltzer said on Wrestling Observer Radio, in regards to whom he heard would take on The Undertaker on April 3 in Dallas. “Which made me think Sting. I mean, I don’t know if that’s who it is, I mean, who else is there out there?”
A few days before Fastlane 2016, WWE has still given no indication regarding The Undertaker’s opponent. Lesnar seemed like the logical choice after their match at SummerSlam, but that feud was wrapped up two months later at Hell in a Cell. Cena then became the rumored opponent for The Undertaker, but shoulder surgery will likely keep the 15-time champ on the shelf for a few more months. There had been rumors that Vince McMahon was such a fan of Strowman that he would get the honor of facing The Undertaker, but that idea has reportedly been shot down because of backlash from the fans.
If The Undertaker’s opponent isn’t currently on WWE’s main roster, Sting seems to be the most likely candidate for a number of reasons. With Sting being the face of WCW for so long and The Undertaker wrestling in WWE for 26 straight years, it’s a match that fans have wanted to see for a while. Because they’ll be a combined 108 years old when WrestleMania 32 arrives, a double-retirement match in front of 100,000 fans only seems fitting. WWE has even teased the match in the past.
— WWE (@WWE) April 25, 2014
However, Sting's WWE World Heavyweight Championship match with Seth Rollins at Night of Champions put the dream WrestleMania match in jeopardy. Sting has admitted that he will need surgery as a result of the NOC match, and at 56 years old, that doesn’t bode well for his chances of being in a WWE ring again.
Sting has already been announced as the first inductee of the 2016 WWE Hall of Fame class, leading to speculation that the company has ruled out the possibility of him having a match at WrestleMania 32. He’ll be honored during the pay-per-view, guaranteeing that he’ll be a part of the event.
It’s possible that WWE changed course because so many of their top stars have been injured. Cena, Seth Rollins and Randy Orton will all likely be off the WrestleMania 32 card, and WWE needs as much star power as possible to sell out AT&T Stadium.
Sting certainly isn’t The Undertaker’s only possible opponent if Meltzer’s information is correct. WWE reportedly tried to get Batista involved at WrestleMania 32 last month, and it’s possible that he’d agree to a match with The Deadman. Meltzer mentioned Goldberg as a possibility, though he hasn’t had a WWE match since he was booed out of MSG at WrestleMania 20 in 2004.
The Undertaker could potentially face an NXT superstar like Finn Balor or Samoa Joe, but such a scenario doesn’t seem likely.