It’s the end of an era for fans of “The Vampire Diaries.” Nina Dobrev announced that she will leave the series after Season 6. Not only does that mean that Elena is gone, but it also means the end of the fan favorite couple, Elena and Damon (Ian Somerhalder). Delena shippers have spent six years hoping for a fairytale ending for these two, but it looks like they won’t find a happily ever after together. It isn't clear if they'll break up or if Elena will die, but without Dobrev, the relationship can't really continue. However, the fans will always have memories of their best moments. Check out our favorite Damon and Elena scenes:
6. First Meeting – When Elena was in love with Stefan (Paul Wesley), she once said that she might’ve fallen in love with Damon if she met him first. In a flashback it was revealed that she did meet the older Salvatore brother first. The chemistry was there from the start, but Damon compelled her to forget the run in.
5. Miss Mystic Falls Dance – This was one of the first times the audience got to see Damon step up as a good guy. Stefan was missing when Elena came down the stairs, and Damon decided to step in.
4. Damon Says “I Love You” – Damon knew he shouldn’t love his brother’s girl, but he couldn’t help himself. Before giving Elena back her vervain necklace, Damon admitted that he loved her.
“I love you Elena,” he says. “And it’s because I love you that I can’t be selfish with you, and why you can’t know this. I don’t deserve you, but my brother does.”
He compelled her to forget everything he just said.
3. Elena Kisses Damon While He Was Dying – After being poisoned by a werewolf bite, it seemed like Damon was going to die. Elena decided to give him a kiss before he was gone for good, but it wasn’t their last kiss. Katherine (Dobrev) brought the cure right after their intimate moment.
2. Hotel Kiss – This was just the beginning of sexy, passionate moments between these two. While they were in a motel room, the sexual tension finally broke when Elena and Damon held hands in bed. Elena left the room, but after Damon followed her into the hallway, she couldn’t fight her feelings anymore.
1. Kiss In The Tain – Fans asked for it with the hashtag #DelenaRainKiss, and they finally got it in Season 6. “The Vampire Diaries” showed a flashback to the couple getting caught in the rain.
While no one will be able to replace Elena, we’re hoping that Damon will be able to move on since he’ll still be a major focus in “The Vampire Diaries” Season 7.
“The Vampire Diaries” Season 6 returns to the CW on Thursday, April 16 at 8 p.m. EDT. What were your favorite Delena moments? Sound off in the comments section below!