After months of rumors, it's finally been confirmed: the new Galaxy Nexus is coming to the U.S. on Verizon Wireless. The carrier announced the news today in a press release that also outlined the features of the Galaxy Nexus, which is the first to go on the market with the new Android-based Ice Cream Sandwich operating system, as well as the first to feature a HD Super AMOLEDTM display.
The release does not specify the exact date the Galaxy Nexus will be made available to the public, but says that it will be in stores and online sometime later this year. Though Verizon gained almost three times the number of contract wireless subscribers that AT&T - its closest competitor - did this quarter, earnings were about even with the same time last year, according to the Washington Post. Verizon undoubtedly looks to widen its lead over AT&T this holiday season by appealing to Android users, who will be attracted to the new Ice Cream Sandwich OS.
Some of the highlights of Ice Cream Sandwich and the Galaxy Nexus include: Face Unlock, which uses facial recognition to unlock the phone, Verizon 4G LTE, and a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLEDTM display (1280 x 720), which represents the best in screen resolution hardware currently on the market. For more details, see the press release below:
BASKING RIDGE, NJ - Verizon Wireless today announced that the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung, the world's first smartphone running on AndroidTM 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich is coming to Verizon Wireless. The Galaxy Nexus will be available later this year in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com.
Ice Cream Sandwich brings a redesigned user interface with enhanced multitasking, notifications, full Web browsing experience and more. Customers will also be able to enjoy the innovative new features that Ice Cream Sandwich offers, such as Face Unlock which uses facial recognition to unlock the Galaxy Nexus. Customers can take advantage of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network to access more than 300,000 apps and games from Android MarketTM or rent movies and stream them instantly on the 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLEDTM display.
- 4G LTE - customers can expect fast download speeds of 5 to 12 megabits per second (Mbps) and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G LTE mobile broadband coverage areas
- Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich
- First smartphone to feature a 4.65-inch HD Super AMOLEDTM display (1280 x 720)
- 1.2 GHz dual-core processor with 1GB RAM
- 5-megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash, zero shutter lag and 1080p full HD video capture
- 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera for video chatting
- Near Field Communications (NFC) enabled
- Android Beam allows customers to quickly share Web pages, apps and YouTubeTM videos with friends by simply tapping compatible phones together
- Support for GoogleTM mobile services - Android Market, GmailTM, Google MapsTM 5.0 with 3D maps, Google EarthTM, Movie Studio, YouTubeTM, syncing with Google CalendarTM and a redesigned Google? app
Customers that purchase the Galaxy Nexus by Samsung smartphone will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan beginning at $39.99 for monthly access and a smartphone data package starting at $30 monthly access for 2 GB of data. For more information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.