Victoria Azarenka secured the Grand Slam title and the No. 1 ranking for the first time after beating three-time Grand Slam winner Maria Sharapova 6-3, 6-0, in just 1 hour and 22 minutes on Saturday at the Australian Open. It is the first major title captured by Azarenka, according to ESPN.
It's a dream come true, she told The Associated Press. I have been dreaming and working so hard to win the Grand Slam, and being No. 1 is pretty good bonus. Just the perfect ending and the perfect position to be in.
Azarenka won 11 straight matches, which includes the Sydney International title, in order to reach her first Grand Slam final. Sharapova was much more experienced, as it was her sixth major final, according to The AP.
But who is Victoria Azarenka? Here are five interesting facts reported about the Grand Slam winner.
1. She is 22 years old and she moved to Scottsdale, Arizona from Minsk, Belarus, to train at the age of 14.
2. She is the first woman from Belarus to win a singles major.
3. She is the seventh different woman to win a Grand Slam since Francesca Schiavone won the 2010 French Open, and the fifth different winner in as many majors, according to The AP.
4. She is the third woman to earn the No. 1 spot after winning her first major title.
5. She had her best season in 2011 when she won 55 of 72 matches, finishing the year at No. 3.