In what's become a tradition in its own right, gamblers have a wide range of peculiar prop bets to choose from tied to the events of Super Bowl 50 on Sunday. This year they can wager on everything from whether Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning will cry during the broadcast, to whether there will be an earthquake during the big game, to be played at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
These odd prop bets have become a regular sidebar story to the big game since the mid-'80s. Last year, for instance, you could gamble on whether Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch would grab his crotch (he didn't) and what color hoodie New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick would wear (blue).
This year's contest will feature the Broncos and the Carolina Panthers. Manning and Panthers quarterback Cam Newtown feature in many of the prop bets, but there are some other fun options as well. Listed below are 15 weird wagers to bet and the odds, according to the sportsbook Bovada about five days away from the big game. For updated odds, check in here.
— Bovada Official (@BovadaLV) February 2, 2016
1. Will "Left Shark" make an appearance on stage during the Super Bowl halftime show?
- Yes (+1500)
— iHeartRadio (@iHeartRadio) February 2, 2016
2. How many wings will Buffalo Wild Wings sell on Super Bowl Sunday?
-Over 12 million (-120), Under 12 million (-120)
3. Will Peyton Manning be seen crying at any point during the broadcast?
-Yes (+600), No (-1200)
4. Will there be an earthquake during the game?
5. Will [broadcast refereeing expert] Mike Carey be wrong about a challenge?
-Yes (+145), No (-190)
— Sporting News (@sportingnews) January 25, 2016
6. What color will Beyoncé's footwear be when she comes on stage for the halftime show?
-Black (+150), Gold/Brown (+250), White (+275), Silver/Grey (+475), any other color (+700)
7. Will Peyton Manning announce his retirement in the postgame interview?
-Yes (+500), No (-1000)
8. How many times will the Golden Gate Bridge be shown during the broadcast?
-Over 0.5 (-400), Under 0.5 (+250)
9. How many times will Cam Newton do the Open Shirt Superman motion during the game?
-Over 2.5 (+150), Under 2.5 (-200)
10. What color will the liquid be that is poured on the winning coach?
-Orange (+125), Blue (+300), Clear (+400), Yellow (+400), Red (+600), Green (+1000), Purple (+1000)
11. How many times will "dab" or "dabbing" (Cam's favorite dance move) be said by the announcers during the broadcast?
-Over 2 (EVEN), Under 2 (-140)
Cam has a countdown on his first down dab now... pic.twitter.com/CXVav8rw8Z
— The Cauldron (@TheCauldron) January 25, 2016
12. Which song will Coldplay play first during the halftime show?
-Adventure of a Lifetime (+200), Fix You (+375), A Sky Full of Stars (+450), Viva la Vida (+450), Clocks (+750), Speed of Sound (+900), Head Full of Dreams (+1000), Paradise (+1000)
13. Will either backup QB take a snap in the game?
-Yes (+200), No (-300)
14. Coin toss
-Heads (-105), Tails (-105)
15. Will the Panthers player who scores the first TD give the football to a boy or a girl?
-Boy (-200), Girl (+150)
— WSOCTV (@wsoctv) January 25, 2016