It was quite a shock for Carolina Panthers fans to find out that quarterback Cam Newton became a father in the middle of the NFL season. While few people knew that his longtime girlfriend Kia Proctor was pregnant, even fewer knew that he had a serious girlfriend. As the Panthers get ready to take on the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50, get to know some more information about Proctor and her son, Chosen.
1. Chosen is her first son with Newton, but he’s not her only child. She has a daughter from a previous relationship, according to Fabwags.com.
2. She and Newton have dated since 2013. Proctor, whose full name is Shakia Proctor, reportedly started dating nearly three years ago. Rumors about their relationship swirled when they were spotted together at the 2013 Kentucky Derby, Hollywood Life wrote.
3. She used to be a stripper. When she danced at a famous strip club called the Washington D.C. Stadium Club. She used the moniker “Hazel” for her stage name. She quit stripping before dating Newton and now models. Some of her glamour shots are posted to her Instagram page.
4. When she gave birth was one of the few times Newton talked about her publicly. “My longtime girlfriend and I were extremely blessed to have a son last week. Our family is excited, and thank you all for the well wishes!” he wrote on Twitter before the new year. “I've been quiet about this because I didn't want to create a distraction for my team and appreciate the privacy in this joyous time.” She gave birth to Chosen on Christmas Eve.
5. Newton celebrated Chosen’s birth by cradling a football like a baby after the Panthers scored against the Arizon Cardinals Dec. 27, 2015. “It was pretty cool, pretty cool,” Newton said in a press conference after his son was born, according to The Heavy. “All fathers can speak on — when you see life come into existence, it’s a wonderful thing. These past couple of days have been so monumental for me.”
Follow me on Twitter @mariamzzarella