Comedian and late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel, 45, celebrated his marriage to Molly McNearney, 35, this weekend. While the Ojaj, Calif., wedding included a star-studded guest list with everyone from Oscar-winning screenwriter Ben Affleck to fellow talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, many questioned how McNearney was introduced into the entertainer’s life. Here are six things you need to know about Jimmy Kimmel’s bride.
1. She works for "Jimmy Kimmel." While McNearney may not be as big as a name as Kimmel, she has been working in the entertainment industry since 2003. McNearney revealed in a 2011 interview with Splitsider that she first met her now husband while working as co-head writer for “Jimmy Kimmel Live” before they began dating in 2009. Besides working for her longtime beau, she served as a writer for the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards in 2012.
2. She has a history of crushing on talk show hosts. Kimmel isn’t the first late-night host McNearney has had feelings for. McNearney claims that, during her junior high years, Johnny Carson was an obsession of hers, so much so that she admittedly remembers rushing home from her eighth grade graduation to watch his final episode in 1992. “I loved it, and I remember crying my eyes out. I was sad that he was gone, but I had no idea that show was written,” she said. “I honestly thought this was just a very funny person coming out and talking, and that wasn't a team of people behind him writing it for him.”
Continue Reading Below
3. She’s trying to phase out the myth that women are not funny. Not only does McNearney serve as a co-head writer for “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” she is also the only female writer on the entire staff. The longtime writer said she is working hard to try to impress upon those in the industry that women are just as funny as men. “I think women naturally come in with a disadvantage, because I do think there are some ‘old school’ ways of thinking that women are not as funny. I think funny people are funny regardless of their gender,” she said. “I think a really talented, funny woman will instantly prove she's funny, and that will dismiss that old way of thinking. And it is our responsibility [as funny women] to do that.”
4. She’s popular on Twitter. Not only does McNearney share her comedy quips five nights a week on “Jimmy Kimmel Live,” she also shares her funny thoughts daily on social media. The writer, whose profile claims she is a “lover of fat babies,” currently has more than 59,000 followers.
Just drove past a yoga and massage spa for dogs and now I have to move back to St. Louis.
— Molly McNearney (@mollymcnearney) June 23, 2013
5. She is originally from St. Louis. While Los Angeles is the place she now calls home (the same location where “Jimmy Kimmel Live” is shot), McNearney is originally from St. Louis. The comedic writer frequently acknowledges her childhood roots when discussing California pop culture antics with fans.
6. You may see her work on the silver screen one day. While she has garnered years of successful skits on NBC, McNearney confessed that she is planning to eventually share her work with other medias. “I'd love to write a feature. ... I think it's important to kind of change things up,” she said. “I'd like to write something that's longer than five minutes. I have a lot of ideas. I keep notebooks all over of things I'd eventually like to write.”