Odin Lloyd, the 27-year-old Dorchester, Mass., man who authorities claim was murdered by former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez, was a well-known “class clown” and star athlete, family members said Friday.
On June 17, Lloyd was found dead with several gunshot wounds in a North Attleboro, Mass., industrial park, in a manner consistent with an “execution-style” shooting. His body was found less than a mile from Hernandez’s home. Text messages sent from Lloyd’s cell phone on the night of his alleged murder seem to suggest that the 27-year-old was worried about meeting up with Hernandez.
According to the New York Post, Hernandez and a pair of acquaintances picked up Lloyd at around 2:30 a.m., prompting him to nervously text his Thibou, “Did you see who I am with?” When Thibou asked him who he was with, Lloyd reportedly responded, “NFL. Just so you know.”
On Wednesday, Hernandez was arrested and charged with Lloyd’s murder, as well as five counts of assorted illegal weapons charges. He is currently being held without bail.
As the Hernandez murder investigation continues, details about Lloyd’s personal life, relationships and actions are sure to come under close scrutiny. Here are six things you need to know about Lloyd.
1. He was a semi-pro football player. Lloyd was a member of the Boston Bandits, a semi-pro football team that has won four New England Football League champions, CNN reports. The Bandits’ official Facebook page currently features several photos of Lloyd, who played outside linebacker and wore No. 53 for the franchise.
2. Lloyd was well-liked by his Boston Bandits coaches and teammates. Bandits head coach Olivier Bustin spoke fondly of his fallen player. “He was a very personable player, always in a good mood,” Bustin told Yahoo Sports. “Never had a problem with him. Liked by teammates. A very good athlete.”
3. Lloyd was considered a “class clown” and star athlete in high school. “Everybody in school used to say, like, I was always getting in trouble with my mom, because he was always a class clown," Olivia Thibou, Lloyd’s sister, told local CNN affiliate WHDH. "Everyone knew him to always make jokes, to laugh.
"Anybody who knows my brother would say that he's just a funny guy," she added. "He's very respectful. He never really disrespected anybody."
4. At the time of his murder, Lloyd was dating Shanea Jenkins. Shanea is the sister of Shayanna Jenkins, girlfriend to Hernandez and mother of the couple’s infant daughter. It is not yet clear what role, if any, the respective relationships played in the Lloyd homicide.
5. Lloyd and Hernandez had a falling out shortly before the alleged murder. According to the prosecution’s deposition at the Hernandez arraignment, the former Patriots star was angry at Lloyd for talking to a group of people with whom he had “beef.” Authorities reportedly have a tape in which Hernandez, holding a gun, says, “You can’t trust anyone anymore,” just before driving to pick up Lloyd.
6. Lloyd was a fixture in his Dorchester, Mass., neighborhood. Aside from his career as a semi-pro football player, the 27-year-old worked for a local landscaping company. In an interview with Boston.com, neighbor Kevin Mallory stated that Lloyd had the physique to defend himself in a violent confrontation. “Of everybody on this street, he was the one who could take care of himself,” Mallory said.