No. 2 Zurich, Switzerland
Zurich, Switzerland ranked No. 2 in Mercer's survey.
2. Tokyo, JapanA picture shows the Tokyo Tower before Earth Hour in Tokyo March 27, 2010. With relatively cheaper imports and a stable economy keeping local price inflation low, Tokyo remains in second place. Tokyo was most expensive city in 2011 in EIU's Worldwide Cost of Living Index.
No. 9 France
Some 29 percent of French admitted to stealing from hotels. Favorite items to nab: magazines and books.
4. Sydney, AustraliaThe Australian city slipped to fourth place from sixth most expensive city last year.
5. Melbourne, AustraliaSailboats dock in front of the Melbourne skyline May 12, 2010. The recent presence of Australian cities like Sydney and Melbourne in the ten most expensive cities comes after last year saw the Australian dollar pass parity with the US dollar from holding half that value a decade ago, EIU noted in the report.
No. 2 Singapore2011 International Arrivals: 19.8 million Growth: 8.7 percent
7. PerthKayakers paddle on the Swan River past the Perth city skyline June 1, 2008.
8. LondonA bus and taxi pass Big Ben on Westminster Bridge in London.
9. Hong KongParticipants compete in a dragon boat race to mark the annual Tuen Ng or Dragon Boat Festival at Hong Kong's Aberdeen fishing port June 6, 2011.
No. 14 Shanghai, China2011 International Arrivals: 6.9 million Growth: -5.8 percent
The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) has released the Worldwide Cost of Living Index 2012, listing the ten most expensive cities to live in 2012.
In its latest survey, EIU analyzed the cities on the basis of currency movements over the last few years which have made them relatively more expensive.
While Japanese and Swiss cities have been ruling EIU's list for the past few years, cities from the Asia Pacific region, including Sydney and Melbourne, now make up half of the ten most expensive metros.
However, when we look at the most expensive cities in the top 50, Western European cities still account for 24 of them while 14 hailing from Asia.
Click Start to see the 10 most expensive cities in the world to live in 2012.