World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) star Daniel Bryan announced late Monday that he would give up his Intercontinental Championship title because of his injury. The fighter appeared at WWE's "Raw" in Cincinnati to announce the news and laid his title in the middle of the ring, saying that the viewers deserved to see wrestlers like Wade Barrett, Dolph Ziggler and Dean Ambrose compete for the title.
"The Intercontinental Championship should not be sitting on a physical therapists chair. It deserves to be in this ring and in this ring is where I am going to leave it," Bryan told the audience. "Tonight I officially relinquish my Intercontinental Championship."
Bryan had won the title at WrestleMania 31 in March at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California.
Bryan has suffered several injuries in the past, including on his shoulder and neck, and most recently a concussion. He has been out of action since April and has reportedly undergone several MRI scans. He had lost a title last year due to his neck surgery.
There is no word about when Bryan might return.
"They don't know how long I'll be out. They said maybe weeks, maybe months. They said I might never be able to wrestle again," Bryan said. "You deserve to have WWE Superstars fighting for this championship."
Bryan will be seen as a panelist for the upcoming season of “Tough Enough,” a professional wrestling reality television series produced by WWE. The show is set to premiere on June 23.