Xiaomi Redmi 1S that was released in 2014 may not receive the Android 6.0 Marshmallow upgrade. However, by using the CyanogenMod 13 custom ROM, users can enjoy Android 6.0 on Redmi 1S.
According to Android Geeks, the official CM13 for Xiaomi Redmi 1S smartphone is not officially available. However, a ported edition is available for Redmi 1S users. Before installing it, one needs to be aware of the fact that since it is not an official roll out, it is not a completely stable build.
Before installing CM13, users are recommended to perform the backup of their Redmi 1S smartphone. Users are required to enable USB Debugging by navigating to Menu > Settings > About Phone and tap on the Built Number for around 4-5 times and then again navigate to Menu > Settings > Developer Options. The handset should have at least 50 percent of battery power to install CM13.
In order to install the CyanogenMod 13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Xiaomi Redmi 1S, readers are required to carry out the following steps:
- Download the CyanogenMod 13 update file and then download the Google Apps package on a PC.
- Establish connection between Xiaomi Redmi 1S and PC using a USB cable and transfer the downloaded files to the handset.
- Disconnect the USB cable and turn off the Redmi 1S handset and go to the recovery mode. To access the recovery mode, users can follow steps mentioned here.
- In the recovery mode, users are required to choose “wipe data factory reset” followed by “wipe cache partition” and then “wipe dalvik cache.”
- Once done, access the recovery mode menu and by tapping on Install users are required to load the files for CyanogenMod 13 and Google Apps package.
- Users are required to follow the onscreen instructions to continue with the flashing process.
- After it is done, users need to choose “reboot system now” available on the recovery mode menu.