Your favorite terrible people are coming back to TV. “You’re the Worst” Season 3 premieres Aug. 31 on FXX, and after last year’s critically acclaimed season, expectations are high. The gang is still dealing with the fallout from last year’s finale: Jimmy and Gretchen took the next step in their relationship, and Lindsay managed to get herself pregnant with her ex-husband’s frozen sperm and a turkey baster. The comedy will continue to explore some of the darker, more realistic parts of these character’s lives when Season 3 kicks off. Here’s what to expect when the show returns:
1. “I Love You” — Remember how Gretchen (Aya Cash) and Jimmy (Chris Geere) said “I love you” in the Season 2 finale? It turns out that Jimmy was so drunk that he doesn’t even remember it, and the commitment-phobe is not in a rush to say it again.
2. Gretchen’s Depression — After being deeply affected by her clinical depression in Season 2, Gretchen is having an easier time this season. She’ll actually try to treat her mental illness this year. “I think she’s on an upswing, but she’s still trying to figure out how she’s going to manage things in the future so that things don’t get as bad as they did before,” Cash told the Daily Beast. “But she still thinks therapy is like waving a magic wand, like buying sneakers and thinking that you can run a marathon.”
3. The Therapist — “Orange Is the New Black” actress Samira Wiley will play Gretchen’s new therapist, Justina, but counseling Gretchen will be difficult. “She’s young, new, trying to remain professional, but also really trying to help this woman who does need some help. Gretchen’s unlike anything she’s ever encountered,” Wiley teased to TV Insider.
4. Jimmy’s Loss — Jimmy has to deal with something upsetting that makes him question a lot of his life. “[He] starts a new phase of reevaluation for him,” Greere told Variety. “Jimmy explores who he really is, what he likes and doesn’t like, and how Gretchen will play a part in that.”
5. Edgar’s PTSD — Edgar (Desmin Borges) decides to ditch his post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) medication after it interferes with his sex life. Obviously, that’s going to have some consequences.
6. Lindsay Is Actually The Worst — Lindsay (Kether Donohue) is getting even crazier. The last scene of the premiere episode features her doing something that’ll have viewers’ jaws on the floor. (And no, her shocking action is not a dream sequence or fake-out. It actually happens.)
“You’re The Worst” Season 3 premieres at 10 p.m. EDT on FXX.