In a shocking incident, a 13-year-old boy was electrocuted to death while playing on his mobile phone that was on charge. The incident took place at a restaurant in Jiangxi, China, on Friday.

The victim, identified by his surname Liu, was at a restaurant with his classmate when he started playing a game on his plugged-in Huawei smartphone. CCTV footage of the incident showed the boy sitting in the restaurant along with his friend, holding the phone which was plugged to a wall socket “using a third-party cable.” Suddenly, the victim’s body jolts up after he receives a shock from the phone. He then becomes totally rigid before slumping back in his seat. Liu’s friend checked on him before alerting the people around.

Liu was then rushed to a nearby hospital where he was declared brought dead. Blaming the restaurant's faulty power socket, Liu's elder sister said the doctors told them the boy died of electric shock. The doctors found burn marks on the boy’s body and face. She added that the cable used to charge the phone was not original and was bought from a shop near their home. However, both the phone as well as the cable was working normally when the incident took place.

The incident was being investigated and the power socket in question was taped up. Meanwhile, the restaurant, which was closed for two days, was reopened Monday.

The incident comes less than three months after a man from Thailand was electrocuted to death while using his plugged-in phone. The incident came to light after the unnamed man’s relative arrived at his home and got no response when he knocked on the door. The relative then broke open the door and found the victim lying motionless on the bed, holding a phone on his hand. The autopsy revealed the man had died of electrocution five days before the relative arrived at his home and that the man’s finger had “burst.”

iphone charging Representational image Photo: AFP/Getty Images/Brendan Smialowski