Baltimore County Police Officer Jason Schneider was shot and killed Wednesday while trying to serve a warrant to a suspect in Catonsville, Md.

Schneider, 36, was coming around a corner when Tevon Smith shot him several times, according to ABC 2 News and the Baltimore Sun. The Baltimore County police officer also returned fire on Smith, 25, who also died of his wounds at Maryland Shock Center.

Schneider was described as a father of two children who led the Baltimore County Police Department’s tactical unit.

"This is a terrible loss for Baltimore County," County Police Chief James W. Johnson told the Sun.

Johnson had to choke back tears as he addressed the media about Schneider’s killing.

“This is particularly hard…. He was a great guy. Can you imagine what he did in 10 years of tactical,” the police chief said, according to ABC 2 News.

The search warrant Schneider was about to serve when he was shot was related to an Aug. 19 shooting in Catonsville and the department was seeking to arrest a 16-year-old suspect. As of Wednesday night, that suspect has still not been apprehended, the Sun reported.

It is not known what Smith's motive was or if he was connected to the suspect being sought.

Schneider was a 13-year veteran of the police force and was a former Marine. His father was also a police officer, according to ABC 2 News.

"On behalf of the 817,000 residents of Baltimore County, my thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Tactical Officer Jason Schneider, who was shot and killed this morning while doing what our police officers do fearlessly each and every day -- protecting our Baltimore County neighborhoods," said County Executive Kevin Kamenetz in a statement. "To the men and women of the Baltimore County Police Department, please know that we appreciate your service and know that you are in great pain having lost a brother in arms this morning. I encourage everyone in Baltimore County to take a private moment today to remember Officer Schneider and his family. He was one of Baltimore County's quiet heroes."

Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley ordered the state flag to be flown at half-staff due to Schneider’s death.