Canelo Alvarez is open to a rematch with Floyd Mayweather, even though he labels their 2013 meeting as a "boring fight." In the buildup to that fight, Alvarez was pegged by many to become the first fighter to defeat Mayweather.

However, the Mexican wasn't even close as Mayweather put on a defensive masterclass to win via a controversial majority decision — the reason for the controversy being one of the three judges scoring the fight as a draw when Alvarez clearly lost the fight.

Since then, however, Alvarez has grown as a fighter and most recently became the unified middleweight champion when he defeated Gennady Golovkin via unanimous decision in September, albeit with plenty of controversy in the scoring as well.

He is now set to move up in weight when he challenges Rocky Fielding for the World Boxing Association super middleweight title Dec. 15 in New York. As for Mayweather, he is seemingly set to come out of retirement for the third time when he takes on Tenshin Nasukawa in an exhibition match later that month before a likely rematch with Manny Pacquiao in 2019.

But would Alvarez fight the 41-year-old if the possibility of a rematch presented itself?

“Anytime he’s ready, I’m ready,’’ Alvarez told USA TODAY Sports recently. “If the day comes that he wants to come out of retirement for it, I’m a different fighter, I’m more mature, I’m a great, A-level fighter now and it would be a great opportunity."

“I’ve always had that little itch for (a rematch) since way back, and now I’m more experienced and more mature. It’s a fight that maybe will happen and will be a great experience."

It's been over five years since their first meeting and ideally, Alvarez would have a much better shot at beating Mayweather today than he did back then. The Mexican has certainly evaluated a potential rematch as he spoke of how hard he would have to work against the American's defensive style.

“It was a very boring fight. He didn’t come to fight. He won over experience," Alvarez reflected. "We have to work hard for that fight. We have to work hard very hard for that fight because he’s a fighter that doesn’t throw too much punches."

“Now the fighters, the opponents I’ve been working with, are strong fighters, slow fighters. So to fight a fighter like him and to beat him would be totally different because now we have to get speed into the mix and we’ll do everything that’s possible to do it, to accomplish that goal of winning. And we have to work hard and get a lot of punches in and speed and really more velocity."

That's not the only rematch Alvarez is open to. Many in the boxing world still feel Golovkin is unbeaten against Alvarez and was robbed by the judges in both their meetings.

It could happen a third time according to Alvarez, especially if there's a demand for it. Alvarez was recently signed to a broadcast deal with streaming service DAZN and Golovkin is expected to follow his lead.

“It’s a fight that could happen," Alvarez said of a Golovkin trilogy. “You know, down the line it could happen. We have a fight on Dec. 15 first, but it’s a fight that could totally happen. If the fans want it, if the people want it and it’s in demand, it totally could happen. But that’s further down the line. We’re focused on this fight now."