Standing in the parking lot of a gas station which was burned during rioting, Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson announces the name of the Ferguson police officer responsible for the August 9, shooting death of teenager Michael Brown on August 15, 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri. The officer was identified as Darren Wilson, a six year veteran of the police department. Brown's killing sparked several days of violent protests in the city. Scott Olson/Getty Images
Ferguson Missouri Mike Brown killing
Demonstrators protest the police killing of Mike Brown while standing outside the St. Louis County Circuit Clerk building in Clayton, Missouri, on Tuesday, Aug. 12, 2014. Reuters

FERGUSON, Mo. -- Ferguson police Friday morning identified Darren Wilson as the officer who fatally shot unarmed teenager Michael Brown, 18, last weekend.

The announcement by Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson, which was preceded by the police description of the events that led up to the shooting, comes after five days of the department refusing to reveal the officer's name, citing safety concerns amid several nights of protests.

Wilson, who was treated for injuries sustained in the confrontation with Brown, was described as a six-year veteran of the Ferguson police who has not had any previous disciplinary problems. Jackson said that at the time of the shooting on Saturday, Wilson was responding to a description of a suspect in the robbery of a convenience store.

Jackson told ABC News Monday that authorities had been discussing the best way to reveal the officer's identity. "We're learning and we're moving forward," said Jackson. "This all starts now to heal, to just make things better."

Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon told ABC News he believed releasing the officer's name would help Ferguson residents heal following Brown's death.

"I was pleased to hear the chief indicate this would be a day in which, finally, that initial name would come out," said Nixon before the announcement. "I think those kind of concrete steps of transparency leading to justice are vitally important now to heal the old wounds that have been made fresh by this difficult and horrific situation."

Brown was fatally shot while walking to his grandmother's home at 2:15 p.m. CDT Saturday. According to two eyewitnesses, the unarmed teen had his hands raised before Wilson fired. Following the shooting, Wilson was placed on administrative leave.