A TUI flight from Ibiza to Glasgow, Scotland, was caught up in the strong winds of Storm Ali on Wednesday, leaving its passengers terrified and ill.

A short video, uploaded on social media by one of the passengers, showed the passengers breaking into an applause as the plane landed safely at Glasgow airport after the 45-minute long ordeal, during which many onboard the aircraft started crying or throwing up.

Jamie Shuttleworth, one of the passengers who was traveling with girlfriend Ashley and her mother, said the flight was suddenly gripped by 80 miles per hour winds after a spell of considerably good weather.

"It was good weather for the first two hours. But then we could see grey skies as we approached Scotland. The plane kept going up and down and it felt like was going to turn 180 degrees at one point,” he told Glasgow Live.

“It dipped for half a second but it would feel like a lifetime. Everyone was chalk-white and you could hear people being sick. People were passing baby wipes around. My girlfriend's mum was crying because she was so scared,” he added.

The pilot faced difficulty in landing the plane safely, Shuttleworth said, as strong winds kept shaking the aircraft, tilting it to an angle. So when the pilot finally did manage to land the plane safely, the cheers from the passengers were not unexpected. 

"The pilot said over the tannoy 'I know a lot of you will have been sick, so just leave those behind on your seats.' The smell was awful,” Shuttleworth said.

He added there were also a number of holiday goers who “had been drinking earlier on the flight in the terminal and they looked like the hangover had just hit them. One was spewing all over the floor."

It was not clear if any of the passengers received medical treatment after getting out of the plane.

Storm Ali swept across the north of Ireland, central Scotland and northern England on Wednesday with winds of over 100mph, leaving two dead and several others hospitalized, the Guardian reported. 

A 20-year-old man died when a tree fell on him and his friend as they worked in Slieve Gullion Forest Park, near Newry, County Down, in Northern Ireland. The latter was injured and was taken to the hospital.

The second fatality happened when the caravan, in which a female Swiss tourist in her 50s was staying in Clifden eco beach camping and Caravan Park, was blown off the cliff.

More than 250,000 homes and businesses across Ireland and around 30,000 in the south-west of Scotland were left without power by the end of Wednesday.

The Met Office issued “be prepared” weather alerts along the path of the storm, which remained in place till 5 p.m. local time (12 p.m. EDT).