Manchester City's Premier League title celebrations were put on hold again as Manchester United fought back to win 3-1 at Aston Villa on Sunday as West Bromwich Albion were relegated after losing to Arsenal by the same score.

Meanwhile, West Ham's top-four bid suffered a major setback with a 1-0 defeat by Everton.

City missed a chance to seal the title when they lost 2-1 to Chelsea on Saturday.

Pep Guardiola's side could have started the party if second-placed United lost at Villa Park, but their local rivals kept the leaders' champagne on ice with a second-half escape act.

Trailing to Bertrand Traore's first half rocket, United equalised through Bruno Fernandes' penalty before Mason Greenwood and Edinson Cavani netted to leave City frustrated.

Asked if he was pleased to make City wait, United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said: "That's the best thing. At least we don't drive into a blue army tonight. We'll try to delay it as long as we can."

City, with three matches to play, are now 10 points clear of United, who have four games left.

Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood (R) celebrates scoring at Aston Villa
Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood (R) celebrates scoring at Aston Villa POOL / Shaun Botterill

United host Leicester on Tuesday and Liverpool on Thursday, with a defeat in either of those matches guaranteeing the title for treble-chasing City, who are next in action at Newcastle on Friday.

Villa took the lead in the 24th minute through Traore, who turned sharply in the penalty area and shrugged off Victor Lindelof before smashing a superb strike into the top corner from an acute angle.

But Solskjaer's team have been experts at second-half comebacks this season and Paul Pogba won a 52nd minute penalty when Douglas Luiz needlessly bundled over the United midfielder, with Fernandes scoring from the spot.

Greenwood put United ahead four minutes later, driving a low finish past goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez.

United suffered a blow when their captain Harry Maguire limped off after colliding with Anwar El Ghazi.

Cavani wrapped up the points with a glancing header from Marcus Rashford's cross in the 87th minute.

Villa striker Ollie Watkins was sent off moments later for a second booking after diving in a failed attempt to win a penalty.

West Brom arrived at the Emirates Stadium needing a win to maintain their slim hopes of beating the drop.

Wolves' Morgan Gibbs-White hit the winner against Brighton
Wolves' Morgan Gibbs-White hit the winner against Brighton POOL / Tim Keeton

But defeat left the Midlands club 10 points shy of safety, with only a maximum of nine available from their final three league games this season.

West Brom fell behind when Emile Smith Rowe turned in a Bukayo Saka cross just before the half-hour mark.

Minutes later, Arsenal doubled their lead through Nicolas Pepe's curling shot.

Matheus Pereira pulled a goal back for the Baggies in the 67th minute after running the length of the Arsenal half before firing past Bernd Leno.

But Willian's 90th-minute free-kick, his first goal for Arsenal, confirmed West Brom would join Sheffield United in the Championship next season and meant Sam Allardyce suffered the first Premier League relegation of his managerial career.

At the London Stadium, West Ham were rocked by Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

The Everton striker latched on to Ben Godfrey's pass and out-paced Craig Dawson before firing home in the 24th minute.

West Ham defender Vladimir Coufal hit the post in the second half, but David Moyes' men now have just three games left to overhaul fourth-placed Leicester.

The Hammers, in fifth, have lost three of their last four games and sit five points behind Leicester, who lost to Newcastle on Friday.

Everton are eighth and remain in the hunt for Europa League qualification.

Brighton blew a chance to secure their survival in a dramatic 2-1 defeat at Wolves.

The Seagulls took the lead after 13 minutes when Lewis Dunk headed in Pascal Gross' corner in a match Brighton needed to win to be sure of avoiding relegation.

But Brighton captain Dunk was sent off in the 53rd minute after he pulled back Fabio Silva.

Wolves equalised in the 76th minute through Adama Traore and Morgan Gibbs-White won it in the 90th minute with his first Premier League goal.

Brighton's Neal Maupay was sent off for foul and abusive language after the final whistle.

The Seagulls are 10 points above the relegation zone, with third bottom Fulham, who have four games left, playing Burnley on Monday.