In a horrific incident, a 30-year-old man killed his female relative and later walked into a local police station with her severed head. The incident took place Monday in the eastern Indian state of Odisha.

According to local police, the man allegedly killed the woman n suspicion of "practicing witchcraft." He later surrendered himself after arrived at a local police station in Mayurbhanj district.

The suspect, identified as Budhuram Singh, told police that he beheaded Champa Singh, his aunt, in the morning as he suspected that his daughter died three days ago because of black magic done by the 60-year-old woman on her.

The accused also handed over to the police an axe, which he said was used in the killing. Authorities said that the woman's torso was also recovered during a search of the home where the attack took place.

The victim was sleeping in the porch of her home when the suspect allegedly dragged her out and decapitated her, police sources told local media. He then wrapped the severed head in a towel and arrived at the police station. Sources said that several people were present at the scene at the time of the crime but no one stopped him.

Police arrested the suspect and registered a murder case while the body was sent for autopsy.

An investigation is underway into the incident.

Representational image of a man in handcuffs.

In February, a man beheaded his wife during an argument and walked on the road with her decapitated dead. The incident took place in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.

According to local reports, the accused, identified as 28-year-old Akhilesh Rawat, and his wife were living separately following the death of their infant daughter two months ago. They later tried to reconcile but since the wife's return, they had been fighting. On the day of the crime, the couple got into a heated argument, during which the accused killed his wife.

"The couple had an argument and in a fit of anger, Akhilesh Rawat attacked her with a sickle, severing her head. He wrapped the head in a cloth and headed to the police station. Police got information from the public and we intercepted him on the main road near Jahangeerabad police station and arrested him," a police officer said at the time.