Missouri Riots_Mike Brown_Aug11
Police patrol a street in Ferguson, Missouri, on Monday, Aug. 11, 2014. Michael Brown, 18, was shot to death in the mostly black St. Louis suburb on Saturday afternoon after what police said was a struggle with a gun in a police car. Reuters/Mario Anzuoni

Update as of 5:02 a.m. EDT: A report from The Guardian, citing Sgt. Colby Dolly, a spokesman for St. Louis County police, said about 10 arrests had been made following Monday night's riots. Two protesters, one of whom reportedly suffered a seizure while the other had a dislocated shoulder, were taken to a hospital.

The FBI has opened an investigation into the shooting death on Saturday of an 18-year-old unarmed black teen, Michael Brown, in Ferguson, Missouri. The incident sparked riots, which continued for a second night Monday, forcing officials to fire tear gas and rubber bullets to disperse a large crowd of mostly African-Americans.

Local police reportedly tried to control the rioting on Monday night outside a gas station, which was damaged in the previous night's violence. Ferguson Police Chief Tom Jackson said that protesters had been pelting rocks at the police, and added that his officers also heard the sound of gunfire coming from the crowd. The riots in the area continued despite pleas from Brown's mother, who had requested for calm after several stores were looted and cars were damaged Sunday.

"They are shooting at us now," Jackson said, according to Reuters, adding that officers from nearly 15 jurisdictions were assisting to control the unrest in Ferguson.

According to reports, 32 people were arrested and two police officers were injured. "It breaks my heart," Jackson told reporters on Monday. "Last night was the worst night of my life."

St. Louis County Police spokesman Brian Schellman reportedly said that at least two dozen businesses were damaged, adding that the people arrested could face charges including assault, larceny and burglary.

“I just want everyone to know and understand that the stealing and breaking in stores is not what Mike will want, it is very upsetting to me and my family,” Brown’s family reportedly said in a statement Monday.

The incident took place Saturday afternoon after an altercation between Brown, another man -- who has been identified as Dorian Johnson -- and a police officer.

The officer’s name was not released, but authorities said he has been put on administrative leave. Authorities also refused to publicly disclose the race of the officer, but Phillip Walker, an eyewitness, said, according to The Associated Press, or AP, that he was in the lobby of an apartment complex overlooking the spot where the incident took place, when he heard a shot and saw a white officer with Brown on the street.

Brown "was giving up in the sense of raising his arms and being subdued," Walker said Monday, AP reported. He also reportedly said that the officer "had his gun raised and started shooting the individual in the chest multiple times." He then "stood over him and shot him," he added.

Johnson reportedly gave a similar account to KMOV-TV saying that he and Brown were walking home when a police officer told them to get off the street.

"He shot again, and once my friend felt that shot, he turned around and put his hands in the air, and he started to get down," Johnson said, according to AP. "But the officer still approached with his weapon drawn and fired several more shots."

According to Reuters, Brown's parents have hired Benjamin Crump, the attorney who represented the family of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black Florida teen who was shot and killed in 2012 during a scuffle with George Zimmerman, a community watch volunteer.