Spirit Airlines is being investigated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) after a recent flight reportedly spewed plane parts into the yards of Detroit homes. Flight 569 from Michigan to Atlanta was forced to return to Detroit Metropolitan Airport after it experienced engine failure, according to reports.

The incident reportedly occurred within 10 minutes of takeoff. An unidentified passenger aboard the flight told the Detroit Free Press over email that they heard “a large bang and the plane started to shake and shudder [sic]” during ascent at approximately 5,000 feet in the air. The witness said they observed the right engine on fire and losing metal.

“I thought we were going to die,” passenger Jeff Luke told Fox-affiliate WJBK. “I texted my son, said ‘I love you, I’m proud of you.’ People were holding hands, praying, getting out of hand with their emotions, but you can't blame them.”

Spirit Airlines confirmed the investigation — which will likely be resolved in the coming weeks — in a statement to International Business Times and said that it is “fully cooperating.”

“On Monday evening, Spirit Airlines flight 569 from Detroit to Atlanta returned to the gate shortly after takeoff following a reported mechanical issue,” the airline told IBT. “Customers were placed on another plane and continued on to their final destinations. We are fully cooperating with the FAA investigation.”

“It’s hard to speculate, we will determine the cause of the incident,” Tony Molinaro, a FAA spokesperson in Chicago, told the outlet.

The FAA told the Detroit Free Press that investigators are probing what occurred on the flight and are examining parts strewn into the yards of Detroit residences near the airport. The parts were reportedly dropped from the plane sometime as it was descending, but the aircraft was able to land without any incident.

Luke told WJBK that the aircraft “was shaking and bobbing and a couple compartment doors came down.” He added that shortly before turning around, the captain made an announcement that the plane needed to land due to “issues with engine number 2.”

“The FAA is interested in collecting these pieces so we can determine if they came from an aircraft, and if so, if they came from the same aircraft,” the FAA said in a separate statement.

Passengers were reportedly given two $50 travel vouchers as compensation. Luke said that despite the scare, he was pleased with the performance of the crew during the incident.

“They did a good job,” he told WJBK. “The flight attendants went above and beyond the call of duty and the captain got us in on one engine.”