KEY POINTS

  • Francis Ngannou addresses a few important things ahead of his UFC 270 title fight against Cyril Gane
  • Ngannou has warned the UFC about his possible departure
  • Dana White revealed his stance on fighters threatening to leave the promotion

There is no assurance that the UFC can still keep one of its most celebrated stars in its stable of fighters.

Heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou is set to jumpstart the company's first major event of the new year as he tries to successfully defend his title against Cyril Gane at UFC 270.

Ahead of the talked-about heavyweight showdown, Ngannou stressed that the ongoing drama between him and the UFC outside the Octagon could possibly reach its end after the aforementioned bout.

According to Ngannou, who divulged that he’s pocketing around “$500,000 to $600,000” in his current deal,  he will no longer fight for the promotion if a pay rise will not be granted after UFC 270.

“No,” Ngannou recently told  ESPN, when asked if he would keep fighting for UFC under the said deal. “I will not fight for $500,000 [or] $600,000 anymore. It’s over. I took this fight for personal reasons, because I want to make sure that regardless of [whether] it’s fair, I can make my case that I have completed the fights.”

Ngannou has long been eyeing to try boxing and he has vowed several times that he is making the switch no matter what.

In fact, he is even eager to make his pro boxing debut against Tyson Fury happen after he’s done with Gane.

When asked to comment about the subject, Ngannou once again reiterated that not one bit has changed as he is “100%” sure about pursuing boxing.

"100 percent [I need to box]," the Cameroonian-Frenchman said. "We've been having discussions for years. It seems like they are OK with it. Let's be honest, I do believe that whatever you are doing -- whatever the event is -- if the UFC is involved, it's just going to make it bigger. There is no question. So, yes, if I box, I would like the UFC to be on-board.”

"Honestly, the only reason we are here is that at some point, there wasn't good faith in this,” he continued. I don't understand why we can't come to an agreement."

Just before 2021 ended, Ngannou’s manager revealed that his client has not been getting what he rightfully deserves from the UFC.

Hence, both parties have failed to reach a new deal despite multiple efforts over the last several years.

UFC president Dana White had already voiced his thoughts on the matter and insisted that he “always come to terms with people” and he has “no problem” with fighters wanting to leave.

Francis Ngannou JACKSONVILLE, FLORIDA - MAY 09: Francis Ngannou (R) of Cameroon misses a punch against Jair Rozenstruik of Suriname in their Heavyweight fight during UFC 249 at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena on May 09, 2020 in Jacksonville, Florida. Photo: (Photo by Douglas P. DeFelice/Getty Images)