On the eve of national protests in Venezuela against President Nicolás Maduro, U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on Tuesday declared United States’ “unwavering support” for protesters and opposition leaders alike.

In a taped video message in English, Pence said, "On behalf of President Donald Trump and all the American people, let me express the unwavering support of the United States as you, the people of Venezuela, raise your voices in a call for freedom.”

"Nicolas Maduro is a dictator with no legitimate claim to power. He has never won the presidency in a free and fair election, and has maintained his grip on power by imprisoning anyone who dares to oppose him,” he added.

After Pence expressed his support for the protests, Maduro said he has ordered a "revision" of the country's diplomatic relations with the United States.

"I have tasked the Venezuelan Foreign Ministry to start revising relations with the United States and take political measures. The U.S. vice president violated the rules of the game," he said, Sputnik News reported.

A few hours after posting the video message on Twitter, Pence again reiterated; his stand in a Wall Street Journal op-ed in which he backed The National Assembly and its leader Juan Guaidó .

Pence wrote that he has heard many Venezuelans saying that Maduro’s rule has worsened the nation’s social policies and corruption, resulting in the country becoming one of the poorest in the Western hemisphere and the nation’s economy shrinking by almost 50 percent. He also said though Maduro promised safety and security in the country, the streets continue to be filled with kidnappers and murderous gangs.

maduro Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro speaks before the Constituent Assembly to announce measures to alleviate serious economic crisis, at the Federal Legislative Palace in Caracas, Venezuela, Jan.14, 2019. Photo: FEDERICO PARRA/AFP/Getty Images

In order to narrate the crisis in the country, Pence gave an example of a woman who had fled Venezuela along with her four grandchildren. Pence and his wife met the woman in 2017 and the woman told them that the children had to wake up around 4 a.m. everyday and wait in line till afternoon in order to get some bread.

Pence said three million such families have already abandoned their homes in Venezuela and two million more are expected to do the same this year.

Pence said the U.S. does not stand by this and has not just devoted almost $100 million to support Venezuelan refugees but also imposed strict sanctions on illegal businesses and senior officials.

Calling it a “humanitarian crisis,” Pence said this condition will worsen until democracy is restored and this can happen only when Maduro steps down as President.

On Jan.10, Maduro was sworn in for his second presidential term. The election was considered fraudulent by many within the international community including the United States which refused to recognize Maduro's new term.

Last week, Guaidó declared Maduro a "usurper" and said he is ready to hold fair elections and take over as president if people of the country and the armed forces supported him.