Rescuers pulled an Australian surfer from the ocean after officials spotted a shark near Jeffreys Bay in South Africa. The incident happened during the World Surf League tournament.

Surfers took to the waters Wednesday to complete round four of the tournament, and champion surfer Mick Fanning was in the water when officials spotted a shark nearby. He was carted off by personnel on a jet-ski. Officials postponed the Men’s World Surf League quarter-final until it was safe to return.

READ: WATCH: Sharks Surprise Tourists In Shallow Water At Florida Beach

Afterward, the Australian surfer, who made headlines in 2015 after video surfaced of a shark just feet away from him, chuckeled after his second shark encounter. Spectators estimated the shark to be about 10 feet long.

"That is huge," Fanning told ABC News Wednesday. "Look at that thing, that thing is a beast, at least they saw this one. I am glad they got us out of the water. Those things are just submarines, however long they are, the roundness of them as well, they are big, big beasts."

Two years ago, Fanning punched a shark to escape danger. During the incident, rescuers pulled Fanning and fellow surfer Gabriel Medina from the water before the predator got too close.

READ: Shark Attacks Swimmer Off Florida's Haulover Beach, Suspected Bull Shark Bites Legs

Fanning seemed to be more concerned about his surfing form this time around. The champion surfer was trailing during this year's contest before the shark interrupted.

"I was getting smoked! I was looking for a wave in any way now I can catch a boat," Fanning said. When the tournament continued, Medina took the win in the quarter-final over Fanning.

However, the 10-foot predator was not the only shark spotted during the competition this week. Tuesday, a shark also postponed the contest.

Surfer Julian Wilson, who swam over to assist Fanning during the shark sighting in 2015, was toted away after marshals spotted a mako shark in the surfer’s vicinity. Officials canceled the contest. Rescuers escorted Fanning and Brazil's Filipe Toledo to shore. Wilson said he was a "bit bummed" afterward. He said the waves were perfect for surfing.

"I was so excited just being out there and anything like this happening was the furthest thing from my mind," Wilson told ABC News.

"I was just focusing on the waves and how beautiful it was out there, it's a bummer that we have to put a pause on such a beautiful day but the waves are going to be here again tomorrow," he said.

The World Surf League uploaded a video to Instagram explaining what had transpired.

"A shark breached about 100 yards off the line-up during #CoronaOpenJBay Round 4," the caption read. "This was part of a larger feeding activity that was occurring. Everyone was removed from the water safely. We will not restart the heat today. Competition is off for the day and will potentially resume tomorrow."