“Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” is notoriously tight lipped about spoilers, but they've let out a few very important details about Season 3. The show is going to go through plenty of changes this year, and you should know about a few of them before watching the premiere.
1. Daisy – Coulson (Clark Gregg) gave Skye (Chloe Bennet) the job of putting together a team of Inhumans, a.k.a. the Secret Warriors, in the Season 2 finale. With her new leadership role comes a new identity. Skye will go by her birth name, Daisy Johnson. She’ll also embrace a new look that makes her look much more like her comic book alter ego.
2. Time Jump – The show is picking up well after when viewers last saw the characters. Months have passed between last season’s finale and the “Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” Season 3 premiere.
3. Where Is Simmons? – Simmons (Elizabeth Henstridge) will still be missing after being absorbed by the monolith. During the hiatus, the whole team exhausted every option to find her, but Fitz (Iain De Caestecker) will be the only one still looking for Simmons when the series returns. The others have given up.
4. May’s Choice – May (Ming-Na Wen) might not be ready to return to S.H.I.E.L.D. after reconnecting with her husband Andrew (Blair Underwood). “[May discovered] that there was definitely a lot of corruption at S.H.I.E.L.D., as well as uncertainty now with the Inhumans being brought in by Coulson,” Wen told TV Guide in August. “It's going to be figuring out her final decision in Season 3 and I think Andrew will probably play a part in it.”
5. New Villains – Hydra isn’t the only threat this year. Coulson will also have to fight the ATCU (Advanced Threat Containment Unit) in Season 3. The new agency is also looking for Inhumans, but their goals aren’t as admirable as S.H.I.E.L.D.’s plan for Secret Warriors. Their leader, Rosalind Price (Constance Zimmer), is cold and mysterious, so she won’t get along with Coulson.
6. Ward’s Hydra – Speaking of Hydra, expect the evil organization to be a little different under Ward’s leadership. His goal is take down Coulson's organization. “This is not like your father’s Hydra,” Dalton told Comic Vine in August. “In the past, they have been about world domination and all these things like that. It’s not so much pro-world domination as it is anti-S.H.I.E.L.D. This is the yin to Coulson’s yang. This is Hydra in Ward’s vision. Ward isn’t for formality and all of that.”
7. New Inhumans – Several new characters with powers will be introduced to the show, both friend and foe. On the villainous side, the show has Lash (Matthew Willig), who many fans know from the comics. Joey (Juan Pablo Raba) is a new Inhuman who might be a friend. Daisy will try to help him after his powers get him in serious trouble.
8. Coulson’s Hand – Coulson’s hand was chopped off in the Season 2 finale, but a sneak peek for the premiere shows him with a new limb, covered by a black glove. Is it a robotic hand? Is it alien technology?
9. Lincoln’s Guilt – The destruction of Afterlife and the death of so many of his friends won’t be easy for Lincoln (Luke Mitchell) to handle. “Lincoln is a man without a country, so to speak,” Mitchell told ComicBook.com. “He feels betrayed, but he also feels guilty. That’s really going to force him to try to work out the best course of action for him and what that means for his humanity, no pun intended.”
“Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.” Season 3 premieres Tuesday at 9 p.m. EDT on ABC.