Comedian Will Ferrell visited Conan O'Brien's late night show on Wednesday as one of his most popular characters, Action 4 News anchor Ron Burgundy, to make a special announcement. Wearing his signature bright red sports jacket and carrying his favorite flute, Burgundy announced that he would make his official return to the silver screen.
I want to announce this to everyone here in the Americas, to our friends in Spain, Turkey, and the UK, including England, that as of 09:00 Mountain Time, Paramount Pictures and myself, Ronald Joseph Aaron Burgundy, have come to terms on a sequel to Anchorman, he said. It is official. There will be a sequel to Anchorman.
Burgundy then played his flute up the stairs and left the stage.
The original film, entitled, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, was released in 2004, but only received moderate reviews from critics. The film scored a 66 percent freshness rating from Rotten Tomatoes, but the movie achieved cult status with fans, thanks to its outlandish characters, incredible cameos, and hilarious quotes. Here are 20 of the most memorable lines from the original movie to get you excited about the sequel.
1. I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly... -- Ron Burgundy, drinking scotch.
2. You are a smelly pirate hooker. Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island? -- Ron Burgundy, to Veronica Corningstone (played by Christina Applegate).
3. I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal. -- Ron Burgundy, to Veronica Corningstone.
4. We have a saying in my country - the coyote of the desert likes to eat the heart of the young and the blood drips down to his children for breakfast, lunch and dinner and only the ribs will be broken. -- Tino (played by Fred Armisen), to Ron Burgundy.
5. Oh, Miss Corningstone. I wasn't expecting company. Just doing my workout. Tuesday's arms and back. Ohh, it's the deep burn. Oh, it's so deep. Oh, I can barely lift my right arm 'cause I did so many. I don't know if you heard me counting. I did over a thousand. -- Ron Burgundy, trying to impress Veronica Corningstone.
6. Sweet Lincoln's mullet. -- Ron Burgundy
7. You know I don't speak Spanish. -- Ron Burgundy, to his dog, Baxter.
8. Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means 'a whale's vagina.' -- Ron Burgundy, on a date with Veronica Corningstone.
9. I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker. -- Ron Burgundy, to Veronica Corningstone.
10. And I'm Ron Burgundy. Go fuck yourself, San Diego. -- Ron Burgundy, reading directly from the teleprompter.
11. Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era. -- Ron Burgundy, discussing the addition of a woman to the all-male Action 4 News Team.
12. Oh, Baxter, you are my little gentleman. I'll take you to foggy London town 'cause you are my little gentleman. Wow, this burrito is delicious, but it is filling. -- Ron Burgundy, to Baxter.
13. It's so damn hot... milk was a bad choice. -- Ron Burgundy, after drinking a lot of milk.
14. Knights of Columbus, that hurt. -- Ron Burgundy, after getting beaten up by Veronica Corningstone.
15. By the beard of Zeus. -- Ron Burgundy
16. I'm expressing my inner anguish THROUGH THE MAJESTY OF SONG! -- Ron Burgundy, drunk at a bar.
17. Little Ham 'n Eggs comin' at ya, hold on people, hope ya got your griddles... -- Ron Burgundy, playing the jazz flute.
18. Brick, my sweet Brick. Brick, come hug me! I know you want to. -- Ron Burgundy, to Brick Tamland (played by Steve Carell).
19. You're a real hooker. I'm gonna slap you in public. I'm gonna shoot you with a BB gun when you're not looking. Yep, back of the head. -- Ron Burgundy, to Veronica Corningstone as she attempts to read from the teleprompter.
20. Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast. Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident? -- Ron Burgundy, to his Action 4 News Team after an epic fight with rival news stations.
BONUS: I love... carpet. I love... desk. I love lamp. -- Brick Tamland
Anchorman 2, which is the film's unofficial title for the time being, has no official release date yet. The film is said to be released in late 2013.