Just a couple of weeks after Sprint announced that its HTC Evo 3D and Evo Design 4G would get Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update by "early August," the U.S. carrier has now started pushing out the over-the-air (OTA) updates for both the devices.
The Verge reported that the new Sense 4.0 skin found on HTC's One series smartphones is not included on the package. Instead, both Evo 3D and Evo Design 4G would get Sense 3.6.
According to Sprint, the Android 4.0 software update will bring the following enhancements and new features:
- A refined and evolved user interface
- Face Unlock
- Redesigned camera app which introduces Scenes like Panorama, and Effects such as Vignette, Depth of Field, Vintage and Posterize
- Web browser that allows users to sync Google Chrome bookmarks, request full desktop versions of sites, see open tabs in a new layout
- People, a feature that allows users to browse friends, family and coworkers, see their photos in high-resolution and to check their latest status updates from Google+
- Improved keyboard with an inline spell checker and improved copy and paste support
- Redesigned Gmail app that lets users swipe between conversations and search for emails even without a data connection
- Launch Bar for commonly used apps
- Google+ integration
- Resizable widgets
- Add/Remove Panels
Being an OTA update, it will prompt users to install the software (version 3.14.651.0) when it arrives. Once prompted, the users will have to download and install the update, and thus they will finally get a replacement for the existing Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
How To Install It?
A notification will be sent to the device prompting the user to install the update. You can follow the onscreen instructions to install the update or follow the steps below.
But before going ahead, make sure you have done the following:
- Set aside approximately 20 minutes to allow the device to update
- Connect the device to a charger
- Ensure the battery is charged to at least 35 percent
- If available, connect to Wi-Fi or 4G to speed up the update download process
Steps to follow
1. Go to the Home screen
2. Tap Menu > Settings > System updates > HTC software update > Check now
3. Tap OK to download any available updates
4. After the download is complete, you will be prompted to Install Now or Install Later. Select Install Now and tap OK to install the update.
5. During installation, the device will be unusable for several minutes.
6. A message will display indicating the update was successful. Tap OK to finish.
Check the software version on your phone
1. Go to the Home screen
2. Tap Menu > Settings > About phone > Software Information
3. The build number and software number show the current version on your phone
For more information, click here.