Now, thanks to the talented minds of the CyanogenMod Team, users of the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (P3100) can try out the latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on their device using the newly released CM10.1 custom ROM.
The Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean include features like multi-user support, gesture typing, new quick settings option, lock-screen widget, new camera app, photo sphere, improved Google Now, new daydream feature, miracast display and many more.
As noted by Android Jinn, the CM10.1 Nightly in question is an underdeveloped build and therefore may contain bugs. However, all issues are expected to be resolved as development progresses.
Below is a tutorial showing how to install CM10.1 Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean on P3100 Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. But before that here are some pre-requisites to consider:
- Backup all your data including messages, Contacts and APN settings.
- Make sure your device has at least 80 percent battery power.
- Enable USB Debugging by going to Setting > Developer options > USB Debugging.
- Ensure your device is rooted and have ClockworkMod Recovery Installed.
- Don’t skip Nandroid backup as it’s very helpful if this custom ROM doesn’t work the way you wanted.
- This tutorial is only for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, model number P3100. Don’t try this on any other Android device.
- The users must note that IBTimes cannot be held responsible if anything goes wrong. They should proceed at their own risk.
1. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 (WiFi + 3G) – P3100 ClockworkMod Recovery
2. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P31110 (WiFi) – P31110 ClockworkMod Recovery
3. Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3113 (WiFi) – P3113 ClockworkMod Recovery
4. Android 4.2.1 CM10.1 for Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 [Filename: cm-10.1-20121219-NIGHTLY-p3100.zip]
5. Google Apps [Filename: gapps-jb-20121130-signed.zip]
How To Install
Step 1: Connect your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 P3100 to PC via USB.
Step 2: Copy all downloaded zip files to the SD card of your phone. But don’t extract any file.
Step 3: Disconnect USB and turn off your phone.
Step 4: Boot into ClockworkMod recovery in your Galaxy S3 by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power button together till you see Galaxy Tab 2 on screen.
Step 5: Now release the Power button but hold the Volume Up button for a few more seconds. You will see ClockworkMod recovery screen. Use Volume keys to browse between options in recovery while using Power key to select an option. (You can also try this alternative method to achieve Recovery Mode without key combination)
Step 6: Perform a Nandroid backup of your existing ROM. To do that, select Backup and Restore, then on the next screen, select Backup again. Go back to the main recovery menu after backup is complete.
Step 7: Perform data wiping task. To do so, select wipe data/ factory reset, then select Yes on next screen to confirm your action. Wait till the data wipe is completed.
Step 8: Select install zip from sdcard and then select choose zip from sdcard. After that, locate the cm-10.1-20121219-NIGHTLY-p3100.zip file and select it by pressing the Power button (tap on it if using touch version).
Confirm the installation by selecting Yes – Install _____.zip on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin.
Step 9: Once the installation process ends, repeat step 8. But choose gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip instead of ROM zip to install the Google apps package.
Step 10: Perform data wiping task once again. Follow step 7.
Step 11: Once the installation is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the device and boot up into customized Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean ROM CM10.1. The first boot will take time.
Step 12: In case you want to go back to the previous ROM, boot into recovery, select backup and restore, then restore your previous ROM by selecting it from the list.
[Source: Android Jinn]