Samsung (KRX:005935) began rolling out the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat firmware update for the T-Mobile (NYSE:TMUS) variant of the Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900T) on Wednesday. The new firmware is currently available as an Over-The-Air, or OTA, update as well as through Samsung KIES.
It was reported earlier this week that Samsung released the Android 4.4.2 KitKat kernel source for T-Mobile’s Galaxy Note 3, indicating that an OTA update was around the corner.
Being a staggered rollout, the update -- N900TUVUCNB4 -- may not show up on all supported devices at the same time. But, users interested in checking for the new OS manually can go to Settings> About Device> Software Update to confirm whether there is an update available.
According to Samsung, the update includes the following improvements:
- OS upgrade to Android 4.4.2 (KitKat).
Continue Reading Below
- New Lock Screen Access.
> Media Controls - full-screen album art and media controls when listening to music.
> Camera Shortcut - access the Camera application right from the lock screen.
- SMS App Chooser - select a default application for sending and receiving SMS text messages.
- Restyled Status and Navigation Bars - status and navigation bars are translucent and can sit on top of apps, along with simplified status bar icons.
- Consolidated Location Settings - location services are integrated and more detailed by new Location menu.
- Expanded Emoji Icons.
- Wireless Printing: supports printing over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
Here are the firmware details of the Android 4.4.2 KitKat for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900T:
Version: Android 4.4.2
Build date: Feb. 12, 2014
Regions: U.S. (T-Mobile)
Here are some of the important aspects that users need to know before manually installing the firmware:
- All data should have proper back-up.
- The handset must have at least 80 percent battery power.
- The USB drivers for the Galaxy Note 3 must be installed on the computer and USB Debugging must be enabled.
- After flashing the firmware any installed custom ROM will be lost.
2. Odin v3.09
Note: International Business Times cannot be held responsible for anything that goes wrong. Users should proceed at their own risk.
Step 1: Download the firmware package and Odin v3.09, and extract the zip files.
Step 2: Run Odin3 v3.09 as an Administrator.
Step 3: Restart the Galaxy Note 3 and put it in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons.
Step 4: Connect the Galaxy Note 3 to the computer via the USB cable and wait until a blue sign appears in Odin.
Step 5: Click on the AP button in Odin and select the .tar.md5 file that was extracted in Step 1.
Step 6: In Odin, ensure that the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are checked, and not the re-partition check box.
Step 7: Click on the Start button in Odin to begin the installation process.
Step 8: After the installation is complete, the device will restart automatically.
Step 9: Once you get the Samsung logo on the home screen, you can unplug the device from the computer and close Odin.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N900T should be now updated with Android 4.4.2 N900TUVUCNB4 KitKat official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the software version running on the device.