The Verizon variant of HTC Corp’s (TPE:2498) HTC One Max began receiving the latest Android 4.4.2 KitKat update on Monday, following the company’s suggestion last week that the over-the-air, or OTA, update for the handset was on its way.
With the software build number 2.16.605.2 and baseband 1.36.60.0122, the update takes the Verizon HTC One Max up to Android 4.4.2 with Sense 5.5. The firmware includes an improved location settings menu that offers a master switch for all location settings.
The update also comes with changes to location settings and fixes for several bugs related to car kits, notification light and OTA update processing. In addition, the notification light now shows pending messages, emails and missed calls, while power management requirements have also been updated.
Here are the details of the improvements and bug fixes, provided by Verizon:
Continue Reading Below
- Redesigned for ease of use and battery conservation
- Offers a master switch that turns all location settings on or off
- Lists which apps are using location services
- Shows estimated battery use of each app
- New setting enables you to choose between these location profiles:
> High accuracy (most battery use)
> Battery saving (least battery use)
> Device sensors (GPS only)
Issues That Are Resoled
- Device Management no longer runs during OTA download
- Bluetooth Car Kit for 2012 BMW X5 now works properly
- Verizon app directed SMS now works properly
- Copy function icon on top right of screen is operational
- Notification light indicates pending messages, emails and missed calls
- Device will not re-download update if OTA install is deferred
- Power management requirements have been updated
- OTA download via Wi-Fi is now supported
- Verizon Cloud
- Verizon Location Agent
- Verizon Support and Protect (v2.0.0)
While the update is currently being released to users as a staged OTA rollout, every device may not receive the update immediately. However, an XDA Developers forum member called Flyhalf205 has managed to mirror the update and has made it available for download here.
Users should keep in mind that their devices need to be on stock firmware in order to run the update. In addition, the device should also have the stock recovery installed on it. Stock recovery download links are available here.