Bubba Watson became the 2012 Masters champion on Easter Sunday, but one who was practically inseparable to the Bagdad, Fla. native wasn't in attendance at Augusta to witness him capturing his first ever major-Angie, Bubba's wife.
Angie watched from home to take care of her and her husband's son Caleb, who they adopted just two weeks ago. She told Kelly Tilghman of the Golf Channel that she spoke with Bubba's manager about flying to Augusta and surprising the 33-year-old champion, but being with Caleb was surprisingly, yet understandably first and foremost.
I just feel like six weeks was just a little too early to hop on a plane and bring him there, she said. He's already had so much change over the last six weeks.
Nevertheless, Angie still made the time to witness Bubba, who defeated South Africa's Louis Oosthuizen on the second hole in a play-off, put on the green jacket, which marked the 14th different player to win in the past 14 major championships. And like her son had gone through days upon days of change, so did she during four days of rigorous golf.
Continue Reading Below
I honestly don't get nervous while I'm watching golf tournaments, but I'm telling you, the last 16 holes today, I've never been so nervous. Angie told Tilghman on Sunday. It's definitely harder to watch on television than it is to be there in person.
We might know more about Bubba Watson after Sunday, but who is Angie Watson? Here are things to know about her:
- She was born Angie Ball on June 11th, 1977 in Toronto, Canada
- She, like Bubba, is a devout Christian
- She is 6 feet, 4 inches tall
- She played basketball at the University of Georgia from 1996-1999
- She also played with the Canadian National Olympic team and represented Canada at the 2000 Summer Olympics in Australia
- After Georgia, she played professionally in Italy
- After she was drafted by the WNBA's Charlotte Sting as a free agent, she dislocated her left kneecap and suffered a tear to her medial collateral ligament during a shoot-around
- She met Bubba while she and him were at Georgia
- She and Bubba got married in September 2004
- She told Bubba on their first date they she would never be able to have children