Although Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) did not mention anything about an iOS update during the iPad event on Tuesday, the company released a new version of its mobile operating system -- iOS 7.0.3 -- following the unveiling of the iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display.
The new iOS 7.0.3 firmware update for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch includes many new features and improvements such as support for iCloud Keychain, a new password generator for the Safari browser and an updated lock screen on the iPhone 5s among others.
Among bug fixes, iOS 7.0.3 brings remedies for certain iMessage issues, the lock screen passcode bypass vulnerability, iPhone 5s sensor calibration issues and much more.
In addition, iOS 7.0.3 also features an enhanced “Reduce Motion” setting, unlike the previous iteration of the functionality, which did little to ease the motion sickness experienced by some users. With the firmware update, the animation effects have been significantly reduced.
Here is a video, highlighting the changes in animation within iOS 7.0.3:
And, here is the complete change log for iOS 7.0.3:
- Adds iCloud Keychain to keep track of your account names, passwords, and credit card numbers across all your approved devices
- Adds Password Generator so Safari can suggest unique, hard-to-guess passwords for your online accounts
- Updates lock screen to delay display of “slide to unlock” when Touch ID is in use
- Adds back the ability to search the web and Wikipedia from Spotlight search
- Fixes an issue where iMessage failed to send for some users
- Fixes a bug that could prevent iMessage from activating
- Improves system stability when using iWork apps
- Fixes an accelerometer calibration issue
- Addresses an issue that could cause Siri and VoiceOver to use a lower quality voice
- Fixes a bug that could allow someone to bypass the Lock screen passcode
- Enhances the Reduce Motion setting to minimize both motion and animation
- Fixes an issue that could cause VoiceOver input to be too sensitive
- Updates the Bold Text setting to also change dial pad text
- Fixes an issue that could cause supervised devices to become un-supervised when updating software
Downloading iOS 7.0.3
Users can find the iOS 7.0.3 update by either syncing their iOS device with iTunes, or launching the Settings app on their device and navigating to General > Software Update for the over-the-air download.
For those who are looking for direct download links to the new firmware, they can get it for all compatible devices -- iPad generations 2 through 4, the iPad mini, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, and the fifth-generation iPod touch -- through the links below.
iPad And iPad Mini: iPad Air (5th generation WiFi + Cellular), iPad Air (5th generation WiFi), iPad (4th generation CDMA), iPad (4th generation GSM), iPad (4th generation WiFi), iPad mini (CDMA), iPad mini (GSM), iPad mini (WiFi), iPad mini 2 (WiFi + Cellular), iPad mini 2 (WiFi), iPad 3 Wi-Fi (3rd generation), iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT), iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon), iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM), iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
iPad Touch: iPod touch (5th generation)
Concerns For Jailbreaking
Jailbreak users who are hoping for a future jailbreak solution for iOS 7, are recommended to keep away from the iOS 7.0.3 update until the evad3rs team comes up with a clarification on the matter.
iOS hackers, working on an iOS 7 jailbreak, have made some significant progress toward releasing a jailbreak tool to the public. However, there is no ETA on that as yet.
“Potential iOS7 jailbreakers should stay away from today's 7.0.3 for now. Too early to tell if it closes anything important for JB,” renowned iOS jailbreak developer MuscleNerd tweeted on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced, during Tuesday’s iPad event, that iOS 7 now runs on 64 percent of all iOS devices. And, the redesigned version of the platform was claimed to be installed on 18 percent of iOS devices, only 24 hours after its release.
Cook also revealed some other key information about Apple’s achievements. Here are a few from iDownloadBlog:
- More than 20 million iTunes Radio users
- More than one billion songs played on iTunes Radio
- More than one million apps on App Store
- More than 60 billion app downloads
- Developers have earned more than $13 billion
- More than 170 million iPads sold to date
- iPad has 81 percent of tablet usage share
- 475,000 iPad specific iPad apps in App Store
A diehard lover of photography, Kukil Bora started his career as a Web journalist with a Bangalore-based media firm called “SiliconIndia” in 2010. After working there for a...