Arsenal are planning to make another approach for Toulouse midfielder Etienne Capoue in the summer, after failing in a bid for the 24-year-old in the January transfer window, according to the Daily Telegraph.
Capoue, a France international, is believed to be the primary target for Arsene Wenger in his search to add an extra physical element to the Arsenal midfield. No replacement was signed following Alex Song’s departure last summer, with Wenger putting much faith in the fitness of Abou Diaby. But the rangy 26-year-old has again struggled to remain injury free this season and missed much of the first half of the campaign.
Arsenal are said to have had an approach rejected for Capoue late last month, but their interest is thought to remain. Capoue has spent his entire senior career at Toulouse and made his debut for France last August. He came on as a halftime substitute in France’s friendly defeat to Germany on Wednesday.
The Telegraph also asserts that Wenger will seek to boost his striking options come the end of the season.
One name on the Arsenal boss’s agenda appears to be Spartak Moscow front man Emmanuel Emenike. Sky Sports reports on the belief that Arsenal, along with Liverpool and Reading, have sent scouts to watch the Nigeria international in action.
Emenike scored two goals in four Champions League appearances earlier this season and has further boosted his reputation with four goals in helping Nigeria to the final of the African Cup of Nations.
The 25-year-old has revealed that he has no current plans for a move, but would relish the chance to play in the Premier League.
“I am playing in Russia at the moment and I have a contract that I intend to respect," Emenike said, according to Sky Sports.
"But to be linked with the Premier League is a dream come true.
"I would love to play there in my career. There are many great clubs there."
Another striker thought to be on Arsenal’s radar, Heung-min Son, has also been in the news. Rivals Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool are also thought to be interested in the Hamburg man.
According to Sky Sports, reports have claimed that the South Korea international could be available for £10 million. Hamburg general manager Frank Arnesen has said that they hope to keep the player, who has scored seven Bundesliga goals this season, beyond the end of his current contract in the summer of 2014.
"Of course we have an acceptance limit,” Arnesen told Hamburger Morgenpost.
"But Sonny is a very young and great talent. We have the ambition to sign new terms with him and will be in a position to hand him a good deal.
"I am sure we can find a solution to keep hold of him for longer than the end of his current deal."
One reported Arsenal target who could be the subject of a transfer sooner rather than later is Wigan midfielder James McCarthy.
The 22-year-old Republic of Ireland international’s performances for Wigan have led to repeated speculation of interest from both Arsenal and Liverpool. McCarthy has hinted that he could be tempted by a move to a big club in the summer.
“Obviously, it’s good to see your name linked with big clubs, certain clubs, it’ s always nice but I am still a Wigan player and I will keep playing for Wigan until the end of the season,” he said, according to the Daily Mail.
“I have been linked with clubs here and there but I will keep working hard and see what the end of the season brings.”