Ubisoft premiered the first lengthy gameplay trailer for its upcoming Assassin's Creed 3 on May 10th. The two-minute long compilation of footage gives gamers a taste of what the next installment of this historical fiction franchise will entail. It has been common knowledge for quite some time that Assassin's Creed 3 will take place during the American Revolution, with protagonist Connor boasting both Native American and British descent. However, a closer look at the recently revealed official gameplay trailer could provide a few more enticing clues. NowGamer compiled a list of 16 things fans can learn from last week's trailer, and here are the top five most interesting tidbits.
1. Assassin's Creed 3 will feature an unprecedented amount of enemies on screen at one time. When fast-forwarding to 37 seconds into the trailer, viewers can see a bunch of enemies scattered throughout the battleground. It's clear that Ubisoft is going above and beyond with its upcoming installment. In this scene from the Battle of Bunker Hill Connor is seen darting through a path to reach his target, struggling to make undetected moves.
2. Players can hang enemies from trees. Assassin's Creed 3 will open up new opportunities to dispose of foes. The new weapon set, which includes tomahawks, pistols and daggers, allows for craft kill techniques. But, in addition to slaying opponents in new ways, Connor will be able to improvise with his surroundings. Forty one seconds into the trailer we see an enemy dangling from a tree.
3. Wildlife presents a new threat. The new game will include hunting missions, including gargantuan creatures such as bears. These animals can be just as deadly has Connor's human enemies, forcing players to use their stealth both on and off the battlegrounds. Players can also be invited to certain hunting clubs if they succeed, which means that they can also earn more rewards. Forty-eight minutes into the clip will give players a taste of what they're up against.
4. Fluid, free-form combat. The combat shown in the trailer appears to be different than in past releases. There is no more politely waiting around for enemies to lunge before countering them anymore, writes Dave Cook of NowGamer. The screenshot at 1:18 shows Connor evading attacks and forcing enemies to attack one another accidentally.
5. Players can run through buildings. Assassin's Creed players are used to running up the sides of buildings and jumping from rooftop to rooftop. But now, Connor can actually step into an open window and sprint out of the other said. Fast forward to 1:24 in the trailer to see for yourself.
Assassin's Creed 3 is set for an Oct. 13 release date, and will be competing with heavy-hitting titles such as Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and Halo 4. Ubisoft recently launched a viral campaign encouraging fans to promote the game through various social media platforms. View the trailer below to see what to expect from Assassin's Creed 3.
Follow on Twitter @LisaEadicicco