In the months since Bobbi Kristina Brown's death, fans have been left in the dark as to what killed the aspiring actress. Now, on what would have been her 23rd birthday, the Fulton County medical examiner has released a statement regarding her cause of death.

As was reported by People magazine, the full autopsy report for Brown has yet to be released. The Atlanta medical examiner has, however, shed some light on what happened Jan. 21, 2015 — the day she was discovered unresponsive in the bathtub insider her home. According to the statement, marijuana, alcohol and prescription drugs were contributing factors in Brown's death. The only daughter of Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown had been prescribed the medication to treat her anxiety. 

"The cause of Bobbi Kristina Brown's death as determined by the Fulton County Medical Examiner is: lobar pneumonia," the statement said. "Due to: hypoxic ischemic encephalopathy, delayed effects. Due to: immersion of face in water complicating mixed drug intoxication."

Brown's death weighed heavily on all those around her. On Feb. 5, just over one year after she was found unconscious, her father celebrated his first birthday without his daughter. A sourced told E! News that he celebrated his big day with a low-key celebration at home with wife Alicia Etheredge-Brown. The source said Brown planned to spend the day looking back on "the wonderful days with the family" that have ceased since Bobbi Kristina's and Whitney's deaths.

Brown's autopsy results were sealed from the public in September 2015. TMZ reported that the medical examiner feared releasing the information would be damaging to the ongoing investigation into her death. Police in Roswell, Georgia, were still searching for evidence to use in court. It was believed at the time that Brown's death was a homicide. Her then-boyfriend, Nick Gordon, was the main suspect in the case, though he had neither been arrested nor charged with any crimes. He was adamant that he was innocent but put together a sustantial legal team. Despite the denial of both Gordon and his lawyers, Brown's family — namely her outspoken aunt Leolah Brown — seemed certain he was her killer.

Brown was hospitalized in January 2015 after being found facedown in a bathtub full of water. She remained unresponsive throughout her hospitalization and died July 26. She was buried Aug. 3 in Westfield, New Jersey, in a plot next to her mother.