The highly anticipated rematch for the combined World Boxing Association (Super), World Boxing Organization, International Boxing Organization, the Ring and lineal titles between Tyson Fury and Wladimir Klitschko has been called off once again.
Hennessey Sports, the company that manages and promotes Fury — reigning world champion — issued a statement Friday in which it expressed “the deepest regret” in announcing that the boxing heavyweight title match “between Tyson Fury and Wladimir Klitschko, scheduled to take place on the 29th October 2016 at the Manchester Arena [U.K.], will not be going ahead.”
According to the statement, Tyson was found to be “medically unfit to fight” during an examination earlier this week. There was no mention of the exact nature of the medical problem, with the company only saying his “condition is too severe to allow him to participate in the rematch and that he will require treatment before going back into the ring. Tyson will now immediately undergo the treatment he needs to make a full recovery.”
The match between the present and the previous heavyweight champions had already been postponed once earlier, after having been originally scheduled for July 9. That was a result of Fury spraining his ankle during training in June.
“We and Tyson wish to express our sincerest apologies to all those concerned with the event and all the boxing fans who had been looking forward to the rematch. Tyson is understandably devastated by the development,” the statement added.
Klitschko, who has been itching to get a jab again at the title he held for 10 years, will perhaps be feeling very frustrated. The 40-year-old Ukranian tweeted on Thursday, promising a vicious comeback.
— Klitschko (@Klitschko) September 22, 2016
Earlier in September, he also told a press conference, meant to be held jointly with Manchester native Fury but from which the reigning champion was absent, that he was “obsessed.”
— Sky Sports Boxing _ (@SkySportsBoxing) September 12, 2016
The former world champion also wished Fury, 12 years his junior, the best of luck with his training.
— BoxNation (@boxnationtv) September 12, 2016
There was no confirmation whether the fight will be postponed to another date, but Hennessey said it will make “a further statement in due course.”