With just a week remaining before the transfer window closes, Chelsea are busily monitoring targets after spending the early days of the summer in recruiting youngsters.
According to The Daily Mail, Tottenham have told Chelsea that any offers for their midfield orchestrator Luka Modric would be rejected. The club's chairman Daniel Levy has also told the Croat to prepare himself to face Manchester City in the weekend.
Chelsea were hoping that a bid of £30 million would prompt Spurs' to sell their want-away midfielder, although Spurs have maintained their stance all through the summer. Last week, manager Harry Redknapp had admitted that selling the player did have its benefits. He then went on to omit the 25-year-old from his squad to face Manchester United on Monday, stating the player wasn't in the right frame of mind to play.
It had seemed like Spurs had softened their stance on the player, but Levy is known to be a tough negotiator and has told Modric to ready himself in time for the match against City.
Chelsea, however, considers this as a tactical ploy by Levy to gain an increased price, and the Blues may yet offer a cash-plus-player offer. The player in question is understood to be Yossi Benayoun, whom Redknapp rates highly.
Elsewhere, The Guardian reports that Chelsea have continued their increased late transfer activity by bidding for Porto wing-back Alvaro Pereira.
Pereira was a key member for Uruguay as they won the Copa America last month, while he was an instrumental part of Andre Villas-Boas's Porto side last year which swept all before them. Villas-Boas is therefore keen to bring him to Stamford Bridge, especially after Yuri Zhirkov departed to Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala.
Pereira has a buy-out clause in his contract with Porto for which is a figure of €30 million. The Guardian report suggests Chelsea have fallen short of that with a bid €20 million and are prepared for a period of tough negotiations with Porto.
Meanwhile, talkSport has reported that the Blues are on the verge of signing Mexican striker Ulises Davila. The 20-year-old was monitored by Chelsea scouts during the Under-20 World Cup last year and have monitored him ever since. Ajax is a part of a number of other clubs interested in the player, but sources from Holland have told talkSport that the player is on the verge of moving to Chelsea.
However, he does not qualify for a work permit and Chelsea will therefore loan him out to affiliate Dutch club Vitesse for a year.
Finally, Juan Mata's move to Chelsea is expected to be completed on Wednesday, and reports suggest he will be unveiled later in the same day. The 23-year-old Spaniard admitted that he chose Chelsea over Arsenal and Tottenham as the Blues offer more in terms of trophy ambitions. He went on to reveal that fellow Spaniard and Chelsea striker Fernando Torres had played a role in his move, while a talk with Blues' boss Villas-Boas convinced him to join the London side.
I want to come to England to win trophies - and that's why I accepted Chelsea's offer,'' he said. It was also a question of sporting achievement, not money. Arsenal and Tottenham were both interested in me but they did not compare with the Blues. I want the Premier League title and this is possible at Chelsea.
Fernando Torres helped influence my decision but speaking directly with Villas-Boas was the decisive factor, he went on. He explained how his style will be based on 4-3-3 and how important I will be to his plans.
Frank Lampard is a monster of a footballer to play alongside and the prospect of that is incredible.