- Apple iPhone 5 Features Update: Samsung To Take Legal Action Against Apple For Employing LTE Technology
September 11 2012 4:31 AM
With just a day to go for Apple's Sept.12 event, confirmed reports have emerged that South Korean handset manufacturer Samsung is contemplating legal action against Apple over reported use of Long Term Evolution (LTE) connectivity technology.
- Zynga Loses Marketing Chief, CTO In Latest Round Of Departures
September 10 2012 7:08 PM
Zynga., creator of popular social and mobile games like "FarmVille" and "Words with Friends," is losing its chief marketing and revenue officer, Jeff Karp, the second executive departure in as many days.
- GoDaddy Sites Down, May Be Victim Of Anonymous Cyberattack
September 10 2012 5:03 PM
Customer sites operated by private GoDaddy.com reported major computer problems Monday due to an apparent cyberattck by Anonymous. Last winter, Intyernet activists attacked GoDaddy.com for its support of the Stop Online Privacy Act.
- Steam 'Big Picture Mode' Enters Beta: What This Means For Valve's Future Hardware
September 10 2012 4:18 PM
Following a slew of announcements about Valve Corporation expanding beyond game development and distribution into general software and hardware possibilities, Steam is officially releasing a beta version of its "Big Picture Mode" today. Showing a sleek and innovative approach to a television-based user interface, the new version of Steam raises questions about the future of PC game development.
- Proofpoint CEO: Cloud-Based Security Software Is Meeting Threats To Major Enterprises
September 10 2012 3:31 PM
Proofpoint Inc. (Nasdaq: PFPT), the security software developer that conducted an April IPO, is confident it can beat bigger rivals like Symantec (Nasdaq: SYMC) in the market because it uses the cloud, offers lower cost of ownership and is spending cash to devise new products. So far, none of its accounts has been successfully cyberattacked, said CEO Gary Steele.
- GoDaddy Down: Outage Takes Out Millions Of User Sites, Emails
September 10 2012 2:36 PM
As of Monday afternoon, all sites being hosted by Internet domain registrar GoDaddy were down. The company confirmed the issue on Monday afternoon and is working to resolve the problem.
- Facebook Shares Fall Again As Co-Founder Moskovitz Sells More
September 10 2012 11:08 AM
Shares of Facebook (Nasdaq: FB), the No. 1 social networking site, fell more than 2 percent in early Monday trading after co-founder Dustin Moskovitz disclosed he’s dumped more shares, a week after the Menlo Park, Calif., company tried to erect a firewall by announcing buybacks and other measures. The latest sales came after Moskovitz dumped about a million shares in August.
- Toys 'R' Us Takes On Amazon With 'Tabeo' - Tablet For Kids
September 10 2012 11:00 AM
Toys ''R'' Us is introducing a tablet for children, and the new product will not be available online. The Tabeo, as the new tablet is called, can be pre-ordered over the Internet but it is only available in Toys "R" Us stores.
- Kodak Said It Fired 2,700 In Bankruptcy; 1,000 More Cuts Ahead
September 10 2012 9:57 AM
Bankrupt Eastman Kodak Co. (Pink: EKDKQ), the one-time imaging icon, said it had axed 2,700 employees since filing for bankruptcy in January. About 1,000 more will be gone by the end of the year, it said in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Global IT Spending To Rise 6% In 2012 To $3.6T: IDC
September 10 2012 9:05 AM
Venerable forecaster IDC predicted global spending on information technology this year will rise six percent to about $3.6 trillion, despite sluggishness in sector like PCs. The market also includes telecommunications services.
- HP Unveils Four New All-In-One Windows 8 Desktops
September 10 2012 7:19 AM
Hewlett-Packard launched four all-in-one PCs Monday running on Windows 8. The new desktop line-up includes HP Envy 23, HP Envy 20, HP SpectreOne and HP Pavilion 20.
- Apple iPhone 5 Features: Will iPhone 5 Sport Fingerprint Security? Does Apple's Acquisition Of AuthenTec Signal A Biometrically Evolved Device?
September 10 2012 4:55 AM
With just two days to go for Apple's (AAPL) Sept. 12 event, rumor mills are working overtime as speculations of Apple's much-awaited next generation iPhone sporting fingerprint security feature make the rounds.
- Technology Focus: Amazon’s Bezos Disrupts Again, Devises Apple Challenge
September 09 2012 10:17 AM
Chances are there few personalities as creative, disruptive and rich in the technology sector as Jeff Bezos, the founding CEO of Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN), the No. 1 e-retailer. He's put Borders Books out of business and could even put Apple Inc. (Nasdaq: AAPL) in its place.
- Kindle Fire HD Ad Opt-Outs To Cost $15; Amazon Reverses Policy On Forced Ads
September 09 2012 8:01 AM
Amazon's Kindle Fire launched Sept.6, appears to be making news for more wrong reasons than right. After news of the device lacking FCC approval for sale hit anxious customers Friday, the company seems to offer interested parties some respite as it appears to have reversed policy on the forced ads.
- Apple iPhone 5 Rumors Update: Chinese Company Uses Leaked Photos Of iPhone 5 To Patent Design, Releases Knockoff GooPhone I5 (VIDEO)
September 09 2012 6:29 AM
Even before Apple (AAPL) could unveil its next-generation iPhone, the Chinese seem to be in a tearing hurry as a company by name GooPhone has released a new phone GooPhone I5 that bears strong resemblances to leaked images of the next-generation iPhone, often referred to as iPhone 5.
- Money's Winners And Losers: Automakers, Best Buy, AMR, Changi Airport, Nokia, General Motors
September 07 2012 8:39 PM
Each week, the IBTimes Money team picks the six biggest, most dramatic, or most compelling winners and losers in business. For the week of Sept. 3-7, the former include global automakers such as the Honda Motor Co. (NYSE: HMC), and the latter include the Nokia Corp. (NYSE: NOK).
- Are BitTorrent And UTorrent Apps Now Allowed On Apple's App Store?
September 07 2012 6:12 PM
Has Apple finally begun to lift its ban on BitTorrent apps? Since Apple first founded the App store, the tech giant has had a standing ban on any apps related to the torrent client. On Friday, however, two new BitTorrent-related apps appeared in the App Store, possibly a sign that Apple is relaxing their restrictions on torrent-related content.
- Sony Faces Piracy Concerns Following PS Vita, Mobile Hacks
September 07 2012 2:21 PM
Following reports earlier this week of Apple allowing hackers into its iCloud service, Sony Corportation is facing similar concerns over the security of its data across everything from its mobile-phone business to its new mobile gaming console, the Playstation Vita. In addition to piracy concerns, the new hacks highlight the relative weakness of the PS Vita's performance so far in the gaming market.
- Pandora Media Shares Plunge 21% On Rumored Apple Rivalry
September 07 2012 2:02 PM
Shares of online radio broadcaster Pandora Media Inc. (NYSE: P) plunged nearly 21 percent on reports that Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL), the world's most valuable technology company, would launch a competitive service as early as next quarter.
- Want To Hail A New York Taxi With Uber? Not Until February, City Says
September 07 2012 12:28 PM
Uber Technologies, the private developer of a smartphone app that matches cabdrivers with passengers, drove over a gigantic pothole when it tried to launch in New York City this week: the venerable Taxi and Limousine Commission.