Get your sonic screwdrivers ready because “Doctor Who” is back. The Doctor (Peter Capaldi) and Clara (Jenna Coleman) return to the TARDIS in Season 9 of BBC America’s sci-fi hit, which kicks off on Saturday. Of course, the writers are keeping several details under lock and key, but they’ve let out quite a few teasers about what fans can expect in the new episodes of the British import.
1. Missy Returns – Remember when the Doctor seemingly defeated Missy (Michelle Gomez) in the Season 8 finale? Apparently, that didn’t stick. The new incarnation of the Master will be back in the premiere, but she won’t be trying to kill the Doctor. Instead, she’ll work with Clara to find him.
2. Prologue – Before you tune in for the new season, check out the prologue. It looks like the Doctor is on the run from someone…or something.
3. Maisie Williams – Arya Stark is a long way from Westeros. “Game of Thrones” actress Maisie Williams is set to appear in a very mysterious role in “Doctor Who” Season 9. She has been shown in trailers, and it seems like the Doctor recognizes her.
4. Reckless Clara – After Danny’s (Samuel Anderson) death, Clara might be a little too fearless. “She’s no longer got any ties to Earth because poor Danny [died],” Coleman teased at Fan Expo 2015. “She’s now free to live TARDIS life to the full extreme, and the two of them [Clara and the Doctor] push each other to be more dangerous and more reckless. They’re trapped in their own TARDIS bubble and it’s going to burst at some point.”
5. A Nicer Doctor – In his latest regeneration, the Doctor became much ruder. While he won’t exactly lose his edge, Clara will help him be a bit nicer and learn to enjoy their adventures. “She pushes him around and he's begun to see that he can measure himself against her and she can be a little bit of a moral compass for him,” Capaldi told Buddy TV. “I think they've realized they like to be together and also I think they've realized they can have fun together, so that's almost like a new thing that's come to him. 'Oh I can have fun in this incarnation, I can have fun, let's have fun,' and she's the person who makes that happen."
6. Clara Is Leaving (Maybe) – Rumors have surfaced that Coleman got a gig on ITV’s new Queen Victoria series and will quit “Doctor Who” after Season 9. However, the actress has yet to comment on the rumors. Fans will remember that there was similar speculation last year. UPDATE: Coleman has confirmed she is leaving the show.
7. No Romance – Don’t expect Clara to fall for the Doctor now that Danny is gone. Capaldi insisted that the characters maintain a platonic relationship due to their age difference. “It would have been completely creepy,” the 57-year-old told Radio Times (via the Guardian). “It’s fine if you have handsome young men like Matt [Smith] and David Tennant, but as a father I felt it would be inappropriate.”
8. River Song Returns – Clara might be too young for the Doctor, but River Song (Alex Kingston) isn’t. The Doctor’s wife will meet the twelfth incarnation of her husband for the first time in the Christmas special.
9. Two Parters – “Doctor Who” is known to have a few two-part episodes each season, but it looks like there will be even more than usual in Season 9. The episode titles suggest that fans might be seeing the words “to be continued” nearly every other week, so expect cliffhangers.
— Doctor Who Official (@bbcdoctorwho) September 16, 2015
“Doctor Who” Season 9 premieres Saturday at 9 p.m. EDT on BBC America.