International media has been set abuzz with the expectations that the Verizon's Tuesday, 8 a.m. annoucement in New York will be the news that the iPhone will be available on its network.
If the announcement does go in line with the reports and Verizon Wireless starts selling Apple Inc.'s iPhone 4, there will be a massive changes in the smartphone world order. Here are some factors that could affect the consumers and market competition:
- Verizon-Apple tie-up will equip U.S. consumers with the possibility choose the network that carries their iPhone
- Wall Street Journal notes that the move will give the users additional pricing options, in turn affecting their monthly bills
- The announcement could put an end to Verizon rival AT&T Inc.'s exclusive hold on the Apple Inc. device
- Consequently, smaller players like Sprint Nextel Corp. and T-Mobile USA will be left feeling smaller as Verizon and AT&T strengthen their hold
- Even though a mass exodus from AT&T is unlikely, the factor of signal strength is likely to cause people to tilt towards Verizon Wireless, a survey by The Examiner found
- Bloomberg reported that the development is also likely to hit the popularity of Google Inc.'s Android as the carrier's customers will be provided with a new alternative to smartphones running the Android operating system, especially since a large fraction of consumers purchased instead of an iPhone as they couldn't get one on the Verizon network