While many reports began to speculate as to why the two were divorcing, documents obtained by TMZ show that Jolie, 41, listed irreconcilable differences as the main reason. According to TMZ, Jolie’s problem with Pitt, 52, was his “consumption of weed and possibly alcohol” which she felt “became dangerous for the children.”
The couple has six children together — Shiloh, Vivienne, Knox, Zahara, Pax and Maddox —and based on the divorce documents, custody appears to be a big issue for Jolie. Check out some of other things we learned from the documents:
1. Angelina Jolie cited irreconcilable differences as the reason for divorce.
2. Angelina wants Brad to have joint legal custody of the children but she wants physical custody of the kids. She will allow Brad to have child visitation rights.
3. “Miscellaneous jewelry and other personal effects” as well as “earnings and accumulations of Petitioner [Angelina Jolie] from and after the date of separation” are listed as “separate property.”
4. There are other property assets that have not been discussed yet.
5. Brad and Angelina will each pay for their attorney fees and costs.
6. Angelina wants to “determine rights to community and quasi-community assets and debts.”
7. Pitt has 30 calendar days to file a response to the summons and petition.
8. The divorce papers were filed on Sept. 19.
9. Lawyer Laura Wasser is representing Jolie.
In a brief statement to People Magazine, Pitt said his children were his top concern. “I am very saddened by this, but what matters most now is the well-being of our kids. I kindly ask the press to give them the space they deserve during this challenging time.”