Smartphones using Intel's mobile processors will go on sale early next year and the world's biggest chipmaker is also on track with processors for tablets, Chief Executive Paul Otellini said on Tuesday.
Intel has failed so far get its silicon into smartphones and tablets, a red-hot market dominated by chips designed with battery-friendly technology from Britain's ARM Holdings.
But Intel is rushing to adapt its architecture, originally made with PCs in mind, for mobile devices.
You'll see the first Intel-based phones in the market in the first part of next year, Otellini said at an annual investor day conference in Santa Clara, California.
In April, Intel introduced a new processor for tablet computers in a bid to stake out territory in that market.
Chief Financial Officer Stacy Smith said Intel's current quarter is on track.
(Reporting by Noel Randewich; Editing by Tim Dobbyn)