Two Penn State officials -- Athletic Director Tim Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz -- turned themselves in on Monday on charges of failing to alert police of suspected child abuse by former Penn State defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky and of perjury in their related grand jury testimony.
Curley and Schultz both stepped down from their positions late Sunday, one day after the charges were announced. On Monday, they appeared in a Harrisburg courtroom, where a judge set bail at $75,000. They were not required to enter pleas but they were required to surrender their passports.
Former graduate assistant Mike McQueary, now the team's wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator, told coach Joe Paterno in 2002 that he saw Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in a practice facility shower. Paterno in turn advised Curley and Schultz.
The lawyers of Schultz, 62, and Curley, 57, say the two are innocent and will seek dismissed charges. Curley's lawyer, Caroline Roberto, called the case weak while Schultz's lawyer, Tom Farrell, said the men did what they had to do by informing their superiors of the accusations.
Paterno himself wasn't charged and he testified before the grand jury. He also hasn't been a suspect in the Sandusky investigation.
The Division I football leader in wins has called the criminal charges shocking and troubling.
If this is true, we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families, he said in a statement Sunday.
Sandusky is being charged with sexually abusing eight boys over 15 years from 1994 to 2009 through his charity, the Second Mile, which he started in 1997 for at-risk youth. Representatives for the Second Mile have said that whatever Sandusky did occurred outside the Second Mile facilities located in State College, Penn.
Sandusky, once considered Paterno's heir apparent, retired in 1999 but continued to use Penn State facilities for his work with The Second Mile. The allegations against him range from sexual advances, to touching, to oral and anal sex. The eight young men testified before the state grand jury that they were in their early teens when some of the abuse occurred.
There is evidence that even children as young as nine may have been abused as well.
Sandusky's attorney Joe Amendola said Sandusky has been aware of the accusations for almost three years and has maintained his innocence.
The grand jury report that lays out the accusations against the three men cites the state's Child Protective Services Law, which requires immediate reporting by doctors, nurses, school administrators, teachers, day care workers, police and others.
While it appears neither Schultz nor Curley had direct contact with the boys Sandusky is accused of abusing, Curley testified to the grand jury that he advised Sandusky that he was prohibited from bringing youth onto the Penn State campus after the 2002 incident. Lo and behold, seven years later, in the summer of 2009, Sandusky was still hosting a football camp, Sandusky's Football Camp, for children as young as nine at other Penn State schools. Sandusky ran the camp for nearly a decade, but by summer 2010, the camp stopped running because a grand jury had already begun the investigation.
So, in estimate, Paterno, Curley and Schultz were all aware of Sandusky's incidents as early as 2002.
Farrell said Schultz was not among those required by law to report suspected abuse. He also argued that the two-year statute of limitations on the summary offense has expired.
Curley and Schultz have the unconditional support of University President Graham Spanier, according to a statement released Saturday. Spanier called the allegations troubling but predicted the school officials would be exonerated.