Kelly Thomas is one of a number of civilian victims of police brutality to be caught on video being assaulted by cops in recent months.
The 37-year-old schizophrenic drifter was beaten into a coma by Fullerton, Calif., police officers at a bus depot in July 2011, during a violent incident that was caught on video, which has since gone viral.
Two police officers are currently on trial for the attack on Kelly Thomas, which ended up leaving him in a coma, five days after which his family took him off life support.
Video of the attack, which featured cops beating Thomas with their hands, feet and batons, as well as tasing him repeatedly, brings to mind the video of the 1991 beating of Rodney King, and has sparked a national discussion of police brutality, and whether police officers have too much power.
Press play below to watch the extremely disturbing footage (click at your own risk):
Unfortunately this is not the only video of police brutality against civilians that has emerged in recent years. Below we have compiled videos of five other severe beatings and assaults by police officers, some of whom were never convicted of a crime for their actions.
1. A police officer seen in this chilling video was suspended for his part in beating a young college student at the University of Maryland who appears to have done little more than skip down the street after a basketball game celebration:
2. The man in this video was handcuffed, but that didn't stop Florida police officers from punching him repeatedly in the face:
3. This video depicts a New Jersey man being beaten by police officers's fists and batons for what appears to be nothing more than standing on a corner:
4. A Colorado man is beaten by cops badly enough to need to be hospitalized after he allegedly tried to help a man stopped by the officers for a minor traffic infraction:
5. This video shows Adam Kokesh being brutally slammed to the ground and arrested by police officers for dancing at the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C.: