“X-Men” fans were treated to a new film Memorial Day weekend when “X-Men: Apocalypse” was released and on Wednesday, FX announced a new series that will take place in the world of “X-Men” called “Legion,” which is set to arrive in 2017. While anticipation for the show grows, here’s what you need to know about “Legion” and the Marvel character it focuses on.
1. David Haller: The show will tell the story of main character David Haller. Haller, played by Dan Stevens, has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and has had to deal with mental illness throughout his life. While in a psychiatric hospital, Haller comes across a fellow patient that convinces him the voices and visions in his head could actually be real.
2. “X-Men” Universe: The series is going to take place in the “X-Men” world. David is the son of Charles Xavier and Gabrielle Haller, although Xavier didn’t know he had a son because Gabrielle never told him. Legion has been a character that’s been part of the “X-Men” comics for years and now his story will play out on the small screen. To stay true to “X-Men,” Lauren Shuler Donner (“X-Men: Days of Future Past”), Bryan Singer (“X-Men: Apocalypse”), Simon Kinberg (“X-Men: Days of Future Past”) will serve as producers on the series.
3. Cast: “Legion” will star Stevens of “Downton Abbey” fame, Rachel Keller (“Fargo”), Jean Smart (“Fargo”), Aubrey Plaza (“Parks and Recreation”), Jeremie Harris (“A Walk Among the Tombstones”), Amber Midthunder (“Hell or High Water”), Katie Aselton (“The League”) and Bill Irwin (“Interstellar”).
4. Premiere Date: The official premiere date has yet to be announced by FX, but the show is expected to arrive in early 2017. The first season will have eight episodes and production on the series will begin in Vancouver this summer.
5. Powers: Haller has the ability to take in the psyches of others and make them his own personality. He can also take the superabilities of others and use them. Some of his powers include telepathy, time travel, reality warping, pyrokinesis and telekinesis. Legion has dozens of personalities in the comics and with each one he harnesses a different power.
6. Legion The Antihero: In the comics, Legion, a.k.a. Haller, is an antihero because he has so many different personalities and not all of them are necessarily good. Legion has certain traits that aren’t what you’re used to seeing in a normal superhero. Expect a dark main character on the series with a ton of power.
7. Name: Haller’s Legion name stems from the Biblical demon with the same name. Legion was a man that was possessed by many spirits, which is similar to how the character is with his ability to absorb psyches.