Liverpool are believed to be one of the clubs keen to bring Salomon Kalou back to the Premier League. Sky Sports has reported that the former Chelsea forward is the subject of interest from both Liverpool and Arsenal, with both clubs considering approaching his current side Lille in the January transfer window.
Kalou spent six years at Chelsea, primarily as a squad player -- only once starting more than half the club’s league matches -- although he still racked up a respectable 60 goals. Mainly used on the right of the attack at Stamford Bridge, the Ivorian has primarily been deployed through the middle in France. He justified Lille’s decision to take him on a free transfer in 2012 by scoring 14 goals in 28 Ligue 1 matches last season, netting a further six so far this campaign.
Despite having the likes of Raheem Sterling, Victor Moses, Iago Aspas and Philippe Coutinho at this disposal, it appears that Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is keen to add a wide forward to his squad this month. Thought to be top of Rodgers’s wish list is Basel winger Mohamed Salah.
Previous reports have even claimed that a deal was almost done to take the Morocco international to Anfield, although Rodgers responded by stating that no transfers were on the immediate horizon. However, Goal Italia journalist Fabrizio Romano relayed quotes from Salah’s agent on Monday stating that discussions had taken place.
“There are several clubs interested in Salah, especially from Spain, Germany and UK,” he reportedly said. “Talks with Liverpool are ongoing. They want him. But they need an agreement with Basel.”
With Salah having impressed as Basel reached the semifinals of the Europa League last season and having scored in both of the Swiss side’s victories over Chelsea in the Champions League this campaign, the 21-year-old is thought to be in high demand. Both Internazionale and Zenit St Petersburg have been credited with an interest in recent days.
Liverpool’s focus on Salah may increase with the Daily Mirror claiming that the Reds have been denied the chance to take Barcelona’s Cristian Tello on loan. The 22-year-old winger has again struggled for regular first-team action this season but Barcelona are believed to be wary of being left short-handed for the rest of the current campaign.
Liverpool are also thought to be keen to bring an attacking midfielder into the club, having missed out on the signing of Henrikh Mkhitaryan last summer. Paris Saint-Germain’s out-of-favor playmaker Javier Pastore is one name to have been strongly linked with the Reds, but the French champions have claimed that he is not for sale.
The Argentina international was the first major signing when PSG were taken over by the Qatar Investment Authority in 2011, arriving for a staggering €37 million (£30.7m) from Palermo. Pastore has failed to come close to justifying that fee or the promise he showed in Italy thus far and has only started eight matches for PSG this season. Yet, chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi retains belief in the 24-year-old.
"I am not sure Pastore wants to leave," he told L'Equipe, according to Sky Sports. "When a player is unhappy it is difficult to keep him. But it is not the case with Pastore.
"We will never forget he was one of the very first key players to join our project." We are loyal to our players as we ask them to be loyal to the club," he added.
"Pastore is both a man and player of quality. Maybe he is in a difficult period, but he remains one of the biggest talents in the football world. He knows he has to do much more. I still have big faith in him."