Manchester United are set to miss out on the signing of Radamel Falcao with Monaco goalkeeper Danijel Subasic claiming that there is a “90 percent" chance that the Atletico Madrid striker will be plying his trade in the French league next season. It had been reported last month by Spanish publication Marca that United were frontrunners for Falcao, with even the suggestion that a down payment had already been made.

However, there has been strong speculation in recent days that Monaco, who recently confirmed promotion back to Ligue 1, are set to make a major splash by bringing in the man who has scored 28 La Liga goals this season. It is believed that the club, owned by Russian billionaire Danijel Subasic, will match Falcao’s €60 million (£50.7m) release clause. There appears little chance that United will match such a figure.

Indeed, Subasic suggests that the only other serious interest for the Colombia international is coming from Real Madrid.

"I will tell you what I have heard, and that is that Falcao is 90 per cent at Monaco," he told Croatian publication Sportske Novosti. "For sure, it is what they have told us, with only a small possibility that Monaco could only lose him if Real Madrid were to come in, but that is now unlikely. If he does not leave for the Bernabeu, he will come to Monaco. Securing promotion to Ligue 1 is said to be only the beginning.?

In other news, TalkSport has reported that Barcelona are open to offers for their young midfielder Thiago Alcantara, with Manchester United thought to have been monitoring the player. It is said that United have twice made an approach for the 22-year-old but were knocked back on both occasions.

Now the Spain international may be ready to seek a move, having failed to earn a regular starting spot in the Barcelona side. A gifted passer, Thiago is the son of Brazilian 1994 World Cup winner Mazinho. Interest in him is also though to come from his former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola, who is set to take over at Bayern Munich.

There is also news about another creative midfielder who United have long been linked to -- Nicolas Gaitan. According to the Daily Express, United remain interested in the Argentina international, who impressed in Benfica’s Europa League final defeat to Chelsea on Wednesday.

If that proves true then the Premier League champions look set to have to duel with Bayer Leverkusen for Gaitan’s signing. German publication Bild has reported that Leverkusen are targeting the 25-year-old as a replacement for Chelsea-bound Andre Schurrle.

Meanwhile, there has continued to be speculation over the future of Wayne Rooney. The Manchester United forward recently asked to leave the club for the second time in three years. He has since been linked with a transfer to Bayern Munich, but their sporting director, Matthias Sammer, has said there is no truth behind the rumors.

"I don't know what Rooney would bring to the Bundesliga," Sammer said, according to the Guardian. "I can't answer that. I can answer that we have great respect for Wayne Rooney but there has been no contact with him. There is no contact and he's not on the agenda. No, no. Absolutely not."

There was also a bizarre situation on Wednesday with a report on the website of Sports Direct, the retail company owned by Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley, claiming that the Magpies were attempting to sign Rooney.

The company has since apologized for the story, admitting that there was not truth behind it. 

Follow Jason Le Miere on Twitter