The boxing world has been clamoring to see Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather fight each other for years, but at this point, the bout may never happen.
Rapper and now boxing promoter 50 Cent has been close friends with Mayweather for a long time, and he went on ESPN’s “First Take” to discuss his involvement in the sport. During the show, Skip Bayless asked 50 Cent if Mayweather had been “ducking” a matchup with Pacquiao.
“Yes. He did duck the fight. That’s $100 million and he just left it,” responded 50 Cent.
The rapper said Mayweather wasn’t afraid to lose to Pacquiao. He was more concerned about how much his opponent would be getting paid.
“I think he concentrates on how much someone else is getting paid as opposed to how much he’s getting paid and then I think he kind of sees himself in a space that no one else sees himself in, like he’s so high on top of it that he shouldn’t give some of other great fighters a chance to be in that position at this point.”
Continue Reading Below
During negations between both camps, there had been disputes about how much revenue each boxer would recoup from the fight. According to Pacquiao, Mayweather didn’t want his opponent to get any of the money generated from the fight.
“He offered me $40 million, and no pay-per-view [money],” Pacquiao told Yahoo Sports in 2012. “No pay-per-view. Can you believe that? Would you do that? Come on. What would he say if I offered him $50 million – not $40 million, $50 million – and said ‘No pay-per-view. Take this money and be happy, but no pay-per-view.’ He wouldn’t do it, either.”
Mayweather is scheduled to fight Robert Guerrero in May 4. Pacquiao's next bout isn’t scheduled, but he may have another rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez.